General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Anyone know any good training tips??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-14 6:38 PM

New user

Atlantic Beach, NC
Subject: Anyone know any good training tips???
I'm recovering from 2 knee surgeries (ACL/meniscus & broken knee cap) and I am VERY interested in completing a triathlon. I can bike and swim with ease but the running I'm having trouble with....I don't know if it's in my head but I"m favoring my injured knee while I'm trying to run. Does anyone know how to gradually start back into it? I'd appreciate any tips. The triathlon I want to compete is in Sept of this year.

Thanks,
Erin

2005-05-14 11:44 PM
in reply to: #157642

User image

Expert
WV
Subject: RE: Anyone know any good training tips???
How recent were the surgeries? Have you been released to full activity level from your ortho/MD?
2005-05-15 8:31 AM

New user

Atlantic Beach, NC
I first surgery was in late Dec (29th) and the last one was feb. 1st.

______

I have been cleared to do whatever my body allows. I've just gotten reduced from going to physical therapy 5x's a week to only once a week.
2005-05-16 11:11 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
ACL surgery is the reason I started doing tris! Completed my first sprint tri in 2002, 9 months after my surgery as a way of getting back into shape. Well, I was hooked.

Lately I've had problems with my left hip because I upped my mileage too fast after coming back from having a baby in August and am still subconsciously favoring my left knee. I haven't run in about 3 weeks but plan on picking it back up as soon as I finish my book (see below).

My advice to you is to start off slow and only do walking to start. Maybe a mile. Then start adding more distance and you can begin alternating running/walking when you feel ready.
Check out this site for the "couch to 5k" training plan and look at other beginner's training logs.
I've recently purchased a book called "Chi Running" which is supposed to be a fantastic way to run, it's the new thing. The suggestions are great and I'm looking forward to trying these new techniques in my run.
There is alot of valuable information on this site, and if there's something you can't find, don't hesitate to ask.
Welcome and good luck!

2005-05-17 12:14 AM

New user

Atlantic Beach, NC
Brenda,
Thank you so much for the advice! Hearing that you competed after 9months is very inspiring since it'll be 9months once my first triathlon begins. I've been walking a mile for the past 2wks. I ride every day and have worked myself up to 20miles 4x's a week. The only part of the race that scares me is the run... i can swim pretty good and like i said with the cycling, i'm fine with that but when it comes to running..i favor my bad leg and i just look rediculous. I'll put updates on here to let ya know how i'm doing.

thanks for the inspiration,
Erin
2005-05-18 8:22 PM

User image

Regular
Apex NC
Welcome to the madness... Score another for NC. Let me guess you are going to do the sprint in Willimington in Sept. If thats the race there will be a ton of us there.. Good luck and just cruse the boards for the tips. They just keep coming and coming.

2005-05-20 9:52 AM

Regular
Texas
Just be smart. after my ACL the doctor gave one sentece of good advice. if it hurts don't do it. we know the difference between burning and hurting. so just use your head and creep into it slowly.
2005-05-22 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would start running on a soft surface like grass while barefoot. The reason why I suggest being barefoot is your using your legs and feet the way you were meant to. All of your major muscles will get used along with your stabalizer muscles. I have been incorporating more barefoot running into my training and I am injury free and feel no pain from it.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Anyone know any good training tips??? Rss Feed