General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying swimsuits (jammers) felt like a scam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-20 11:25 PM

Master
Subject: Buying swimsuits (jammers) felt like a scam
Just had to vent at my frustration with buying mens jammers.

Last year, I made the typical rookie mistake of buying lycra racing style mens jammers. They nearly disintegrated after 5 weeks of use in the pool, to my horror.

Fortunately, I asked around here, and was directed to 100% polyester jammers - I ordered one online, and it lasted nearly an entire year of abuse. (I even ran & biked in it often.) Unfortunately, it died today - found a 3 inch rip right down the back! Interestingly, the polyester panels are pristine - the stitching was the part that gave out!

I went to a Sports Authority and a Sports Chalet in LA. I know, it's not a specialty swim store, but they had hundreds of different types of swimwear, from skimpy speedos, to jammers to boardshorts.

To my horror, in both stores, out of hundreds of lycra racing jammers, I only found less than 10 (!!) "endurance" type jammers that had at least 50% polyester. I'd guess that 98% of their selection of racing style suits were lycra blends. And these endurance type polyblends were buried. To top it off, not a single one of them was 100% polyester. 

I know that it's a bad idea for Speedo or Tyr to cannibalize their sales by pushing the longer-lasting suits, but it really leaves me a bad taste when I see this kind of self-interested sales. I doubt that only competitive racers buy swimsuits, and I'll bet that FAR more fitness or training-type swimmers are shopping at these stores, yet they purposely avoid the specific suit type that would best serve their needs.

I ended up buying a Tyr 50% Polyester / 50% PBT blend. (I have no idea what that is.) It's supposed to last 3x longer than lycra, which doesn't seem too long for me compared to the months I got out of my polyester suit.

Just venting. Thanks.

2009-08-20 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2361651

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Buying swimsuits (jammers) felt like a scam
agarose2000 - 2009-08-20 9:25 PM Just had to vent at my frustration with buying mens jammers.

Last year, I made the typical rookie mistake of buying lycra racing style mens jammers. They nearly disintegrated after 5 weeks of use in the pool, to my horror.

Fortunately, I asked around here, and was directed to 100% polyester jammers - I ordered one online, and it lasted nearly an entire year of abuse. (I even ran & biked in it often.) Unfortunately, it died today - found a 3 inch rip right down the back! Interestingly, the polyester panels are pristine - the stitching was the part that gave out!

I went to a Sports Authority and a Sports Chalet in LA. I know, it's not a specialty swim store, but they had hundreds of different types of swimwear, from skimpy speedos, to jammers to boardshorts.

To my horror, in both stores, out of hundreds of lycra racing jammers, I only found less than 10 (!!) "endurance" type jammers that had at least 50% polyester. I'd guess that 98% of their selection of racing style suits were lycra blends. And these endurance type polyblends were buried. To top it off, not a single one of them was 100% polyester. 

I know that it's a bad idea for Speedo or Tyr to cannibalize their sales by pushing the longer-lasting suits, but it really leaves me a bad taste when I see this kind of self-interested sales. I doubt that only competitive racers buy swimsuits, and I'll bet that FAR more fitness or training-type swimmers are shopping at these stores, yet they purposely avoid the specific suit type that would best serve their needs.

I ended up buying a Tyr 50% Polyester / 50% PBT blend. (I have no idea what that is.) It's supposed to last 3x longer than lycra, which doesn't seem too long for me compared to the months I got out of my polyester suit.

Just venting. Thanks.

5 weeks?? What are you guys doing to your suits?I get anywhere from 6 months to a year out of a typical lycra or lycra blend.

John
2009-08-20 11:38 PM

Master
Ok, maybe 8 weeks, but definitely not longer than that. Those lycra jammers are so thin that I'm afraid they'll rip the moment I bend over! No such problems with the poly - those things are bulletproof.
2009-08-21 3:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have Speedo and Nike lycra jammers, which I swim and ride and run in that are about 6 months old.  They don't look new anymore but they are in pretty good shape still.
2009-08-21 3:25 AM

User image

Champion
MA
poly/pbt blend holds up just as well if not better than 100% poly. You will be good and not see through soon.
2009-08-21 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Poly suits DO produce more drag than lycra suits and aren't exactly as comfy the first time you put them on.  They don't stretch as easily so they don't feel as good as a lycra suit.  They do last longer once you get used to them; however, a lot of old school types prefer the lycra...especially for racing.

So, yes, while the companies appear to be ignoring a portion of the population, they are putting out what sells as any company would do.  The average customer going to a Sports Authority type store probably only cares about the suit lasting a season anyway.

I'm not putting my point out very well...but I guess what I mean is that there IS a huge market for lycra suits and the companies know their customer base.

2009-08-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2361656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-20 11:30 PM 
5 weeks?? What are you guys doing to your suits?I get anywhere from 6 months to a year out of a typical lycra or lycra blend.

John

Time to swim more Wink 

I never had a pair of lycra jammers last more then 2 months.  I buy all my swim gear at http://www.swimoutlet.com/  now.  General sporting goods stores don't carry decent goggles or swimsuits.

2009-08-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2361656

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
tkd.teacher - 2009-08-21 12:30 AM

John

I've been thinking the same thing everytime I read these posts. I grew on on 100% lycra suits that I wore pretty much everyday for the entire summer since I always had one on under say board shorts or 5 days a week for at least 2 hours in HS and even other winter teams I was on before HS.

I know they do wear as I always had a bag full of worn ones but i never bought more than 1 or 2 new suits a year and my summer pool had more chlorine then water, my HS was not much better (same pool pool my winter teams practiced in).

Oh well I practice in normal knee length baggy suits for the drag and have no problems.
2009-08-21 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Uh, why didn't you go online and find a place selling what you had before?

I personally hate the polyester suits. They are scratchy and uncomfortable. I'll run through a Speedo in about 3-4 months time, but I'll do that for the comfort of lycra.

I also buy suits and store them for when I need them. I check www.speedo.com on a regular basis and I'm on their mailing list... so I know when suits are marked down and I get additional discounts. I buy my suits at around $30 each on average.

Now I did run out of suits and had to buy one in store, which sucked.

BUT why not go ahead and buy something online for when these jammers are done?

2009-08-21 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
You weren't ripped off, you just bought the wrong product for the wrong use.  Jammers are for swimming and swimming alone.  They're not designed for biking and running regardless of how much nylon or polyester is in them.  What you need are tri-shorts.  These are specifically designed for swimming, biking and running.  You'll be much happier with tri-shorts than you will trying to train and race in jammers.  They'll last longer too.

My jammers last 2-3 years because I only swim in them.
2009-08-21 9:56 AM

Master

I normally would have gone online and bought there - for sure, that's the best route , and was where I got my first polyester jammers. This time though, it was an emergency! Sudden unexpected tear = no pool for a few days at least or hit the local sports store. 

I also never biked/ran in my lycra suit. It simply seemed too thin. My polyester one though - after 3 months of looking new, I did some biking & running in it for a few months which certainly accelerated its demise along the seams. I don't think the chlorine affected the poly panels at all though!

I suspect my pool is more chlorinated than others, accounting for the accelerated wear. I've been in 5 different pools and the one I mainly swim in is notably more chlorinated than the others. Lycra doesn't seem to do to well there.

Of note, I wish I was strong enough to swim in "board shorts" but I've noted such a huge penalty to my already slow pace that I drop to paces (2:00+) that make it hard to maintain a good glide. For me at least, board shorts give me a 15 sec/100m drop in pace that makes it frustratingly hard for me to swim well. Perhaps it's me, but there's definitely a difference in technique when I'm moving faster (I think akin to practicing with fins). 

2009-08-21 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2362203

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
agarose2000 - 2009-08-21 9:56 AM

I normally would have gone online and bought there - for sure, that's the best route , and was where I got my first polyester jammers. This time though, it was an emergency! Sudden unexpected tear = no pool for a few days at least or hit the local sports store. 

I also never biked/ran in my lycra suit. It simply seemed too thin. My polyester one though - after 3 months of looking new, I did some biking & running in it for a few months which certainly accelerated its demise along the seams. I don't think the chlorine affected the poly panels at all though!

I suspect my pool is more chlorinated than others, accounting for the accelerated wear. I've been in 5 different pools and the one I mainly swim in is notably more chlorinated than the others. Lycra doesn't seem to do to well there.

Of note, I wish I was strong enough to swim in "board shorts" but I've noted such a huge penalty to my already slow pace that I drop to paces (2:00+) that make it hard to maintain a good glide. For me at least, board shorts give me a 15 sec/100m drop in pace that makes it frustratingly hard for me to swim well. Perhaps it's me, but there's definitely a difference in technique when I'm moving faster (I think akin to practicing with fins). 

The Lifetime Fitness pool I swim in... has so much chlorine it in... my suit changes shades of color after each swim. I have a dark blue suit... then a light blue suit. Yeah. It sucks.

2009-08-21 11:10 AM

User image

Hmmmm, I go into Sport Chalet or Sports Authority or Big 5 and I buy jammers probably once a year.  I have never looked at the materials used.  I have swum approx 350K yards each of the last four years.  I think I have bought 5 pairs of jammers in that time...   What the heck are you doing to them???
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying swimsuits (jammers) felt like a scam Rss Feed