General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain(fracture?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-21 9:23 AM

Regular
Livonia, MI
Subject: Lower leg pain(fracture?)
Hello all I have this pain on the Tibia of my left leg about 3 inches up from the Medial malleolus. The thing is, the pain does not inhibit me while I run, or walk. I just know it is there and can pinpoint the pain with a finger. I am wondering if anyone knows of something that could be causing this pain? Could it be a stress fracture that doesnt hurt while I run?

Thanks

2009-09-05 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2362106

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Lower leg pain(fracture?)

Don't follow the previous posters advice!!!!!

You NEED to get that leg looked at by a doctor!  Pain in a specific location is a red flag.  DO NOT run on it!  You could cause more damage.

2009-09-06 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

1-no such thing as a "hairline stress fracture"  vs "full blown stress fracture" its busted or it is not. (deleted a previous post due to severe inaccuracies)

2-Best guess top 3  could be stress fracture, periostitis (irritaation of the covering of the bone) or tendinitis

3-Go see a sports doc, get an xray, could possibly need a bone scan or MRI to further delineate

4-Does not nessecarily mean your season is over, although it is the end of the season for most people.

2009-09-07 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Hey Bp, I think I have had the same pain that you are describing since this spring.  I was using the BT 1/2 Marathon training plan and I may not have had the proper base for it.  Anyway, the pain only develops ~after a hard effort/speed workout or race.  For instance, I just ran a 1/2 marathon in WI and I kind of felt the twinge in my leg/ankle during the race, but it was afterwards that the pain was really noticible.  Also, there is a tiny bit of swelling that is involved.
As I mentioned I've been dealing with it since the spring but I haven't yet seen the doctors for it.  I've just been "dealing" until my race season is over (my last race is the Chicago  1/2 on Sept 13th).  I plan on going to a sports medicine place after the race to get x-rays and the whole thing checked out.

Send me a PM if you'd like to chat more about my experience(s) with the pain and maybe you'll be able to make your decision better.

Eddie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lower leg pain(fracture?) Rss Feed