Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2363426

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: Sore Butt From Biking
Ride comfort is a function of rider anatomy, riding style (inc. ride lengths), clothing (cycling shorts), seat, and seat position.  There is no single "best" seat or shorts for all riders, and most take some trial & error to find right combo.  Things to try:

1.  Gradual increase in mileage- ya gotta earn those butt calluses.
2. Seat position- sit bones over broad part of seat best distributes your body weight
3. Cycling shorts that pad sit bones without causing friction (cycling shorts are meant to be worn without underwear)
4. Seat which matches your sit bones without major pressure on perineum ("taint").  As was said, more padding can actually make things WORSE for many on long rides (increased perineal pressure, more friction, etc.). For some male riders a cut-out style saddle may help, but could be worse if cut-out is in wrong spot.
5.  For long training rides- if your discomfort seems due to friction (rug burn feeling), consider trying chamois lube to cycling pad &/or your rump just before you ride. 
6. Stand regularly during long rides to let full blood flow return to your pelvis.

And FORGET weight when choosing a saddle.  Your comfort is worth WAY more than a few grams.

Edited by Oldteen 2009-08-22 10:06 AM

2009-08-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2363716

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
akrenik - 2009-08-21 9:29 PM
I have been told that my seat is tilted down too far, but I was worried that having it horizontal would make it worse.  Perhaps that is the problem?  Maybe I should look into that cushy seat on this thread.  That looks like a little bit of heaven! 

IMO, you need to put a level on that saddle and get it horizontal. A down sloping saddle is bad for lots of reasons that can turn into a chain-reaction. If a horizontal saddle hurts you abnormally, then you've got other fit issues with the bike.

I'd have to +2 on using a saddle with minimal padding. I ride a Bontrager Race X lite pro which is very similar to the link posted above. Like I said, as long as your bike is reasonably fit, almost everybody you'll adjust perfectly to a minimally padded saddle by just riding.

A padded saddle (or double bike shorts) may feel better at first but in most cases it will never allow your rear-end to adjust correctly. And then (for most people), when/if you start riding longer distances you'll run into the same effect as if you did a long run in shoes that were too big, that extra padding will start to bunch up as it rubs on your skin and it can mess you up bad. I developed saddle sores so bad from riding a large padded seat on an exercise bike in our rec center over a couple winters that I had to have surgery (under general anesthesia) to have them removed.

Everybody's different and there's always special cases (as KSH has proven) but for most people if you plan on riding often and to increasing distances, IMO, it's far better to deal with some pain at first and adjust normally, so it becomes a non-issue later in your cycling.

Your body is an amazing machine. On a properly fitted bike, saddle pain is telling you that you're not ready for that distances yet probably in many other ways besides just your rear-end. If you listen closely to what your body is telling you, you're far more likely to stay off the "always injured list" (unless you crash as often as me...).
2009-08-22 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2363942

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Oldteen - 2009-08-22 9:04 AM
Ride comfort is a function of rider anatomy...

Very good advice from top to bottom. I really love to read posts from people who've obviously learned things from experience which they're willing to share. My favorite part is simply, "Things to try". Solving difficult problems is largely trial-and-error. In moving from my road bike to my TT bike, after the initial fit, I bet I made 50 tiny little adjustments over about 20 rides to try to get the thing absolutely perfect.

Edited by breckview 2009-08-22 10:46 AM
2009-08-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2363979

User image

Champion
breckview - 2009-08-22 9:42 AM

Oldteen - 2009-08-22 9:04 AM
Ride comfort is a function of rider anatomy...

Very good advice from top to bottom. I really love to read posts from people who've obviously learned things from experience which they're willing to share. My favorite part is simply, "Things to try". Solving difficult problems is largely trial-and-error. In moving from my road bike to my TT bike, after the initial fit, I bet I made 50 tiny little adjustments over about 20 rides to try to get the thing absolutely perfect.

agreed.

i have made more tiny changes than i can count from little saddle movements, to turning one cleat just a tiny bit more than the other, to the bar tape i use. but thats what makes it YOUR bike, you get it perfect for you and all the little things that make you ride the way you do
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore Butt From Biking Rss Feed  

of 2