General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast forward seat post on a tri geometry bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-22 9:38 AM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: Fast forward seat post on a tri geometry bike
I purchased a 2nd hand 56cm Felt S22 last year that seemed to fit me well for the first while although I now notice that I'm always sitting on the very tip of the seat despite having the seat as far forward as possible and the aerobars as far back as possible. I had a chance to test ride a Cervelo P3 during a Cervelo event that went through town and tried the 54cm bike which was super comfortable - my sit bones were actually on the seat and I wasn't constantly readjusting my position back onto the seat. I thought it was just an uncomfortable seat so I tried an ISM seat and have the same comfort and position issue.

I'm thinking I'd like to try a Profile Fast Forward seat post, but I understand these are more for increasing the seat tube angle on road geometry bikes. My bike already has a 76º seat tube angle, so the fast forward post may make it 78. Would this work or would it make the tri bike to unstable? I'm trying to find an option that does not make me having to look for a new bike. In case it helps, my inseam is 85cm, height is 180.5cm

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

2009-08-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2363921

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Fast forward seat post on a tri geometry bike
i'm not sure if/what that would do to handling,

but on a geometry side of thigns, the cervelo can get you past 80 degrees with tis seatpost and moving the saddle, so 78 is not going to kill you.

i ride right now at 79/80.
2009-08-22 12:29 PM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Great, thanks. After I posted I realised that I am effectively hitting the steeper angle now by sitting on the front end of the seat so it should be the same only more comfortable with the fast forward seat post since it will only meant the seat is under me in the right position.

2009-08-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2364062

User image

Champion
one thing to think about, you may end up on the front of the seat no matter where you put it.

i very much ride the nose of my saddle during tri/TT efforts (read front 1/3rd of an in). i realized that after moving it in 9 diff places and being on the tip in all o f them.
2009-08-22 3:54 PM

Halifax, Nova Scotia
My LBS had a carbon Fast Forward post in stock so I took the ISM seat back and bought the seat post. I have just come back from a short 10k test ride and it feels like a new bike. The seat fits well and I do creep forward anyway like you said I would but I'm much more comfortable and more evenly distributed between the bars and the seat.

The good thing about the change is that I'm supposedly more aero now at around 79º seat tube angle and my saddle height is properly adjusted for power. The real test will be on a longer ride but I'm pretty sure I'm dialed in now. The bike feels just as stable as without the new seat tube.

Thanks again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fast forward seat post on a tri geometry bike Rss Feed