General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there anything missing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-22 11:53 PM

User image

Regular
Bishop, CA
Subject: Is there anything missing?

I've just made up an eating plan.  I don't know anything about nutrition really so I'm hoping for some feedback.  Here's a day:

Breakfast:  smoothie with 5 strawberries, 1/4 c frozen pineapple, 1/4 c nonfat plain yogurt, 1 c soy milk, 2 tbsp ground flax
Snack:  low-sodium small V8 & 1 c sugar snap peas
Lunch:   small tuna pouch in water with Triscuits, 5 dried figs, 2 wedges of Laughing Cow cheese
Snack:  1 c blackberries and 1 4 oz serving of lowfat cottage cheese
Dinner:  grilled chicken breast, 3 c spinach sauteed in olive oil, 1 c brown rice with low-sodium soy sauce
Snack:  blood orange sorbet

What do you think? 

2009-08-23 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2364612

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: RE: Is there anything missing?
It sounds yummy, but It doesn't seem like enough calories/day, especially if you're working out a lot.

I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime member, so my brain thinks in WW points at this point, not calorie numbers, but when I calculate it into points, it would be WAY below what I'm supposed to eat for a day, and I work out most days.    Take a look at serving sizes for things.  For example, a cup of strawberries is a serving, so 5 strawberries isn't an actual serving, and isn't enough calories. 

The other thing I learned throughout my nutrition adventures losing weight was that you have to have healthy oils in your day - your body needs them, so if you have salad, be sure to have olive oil or canola oil or another heart healthy oil - just a tsp at a time makes a difference.  When I cut the oils out of my diet, my HDL (the good cholesterol) dropped - it was in a good high range when I was fat , so I had to incorporate that back into my diet.    If you like almonds, they're a great way to get some good oils, fiber and calories without having too many.  Walnuts are also great.  Be aware of what a serving size is.  Be sure to get enough whole grains throughout the day too, so maybe add some oats to your smoothie in the morning, or have it along with some cereal?   

Be sure you're drinking enough water too throughout the day. I'm sure others will have better ideas, but it just doesn't sound like enough calories.

Also, many health plans pay for you to visit a certified nutritionist for a few times.  It's totally worth a trip.  When I was pregnant with my second son, a nutritionist was one of my first stops so that I wouldn't gain too much during my pregnancy (I had gained 50 pounds with my first one - OUCH!), and it was one of the best things I could have done.  She talked me through many things, gave me great ideas, etc and I only gained 22 the next pregnancy (without feeling deprived).  Although triathlon training and good healthy eating are little bit different, I'd highly recommend it.
2009-08-23 2:55 PM
in reply to: #2364675

User image

jenmel - 2009-08-23 7:25 AM It sounds yummy, but It doesn't seem like enough calories/day, especially if you're working out a lot.

The other thing I learned throughout my nutrition adventures losing weight was that you have to have healthy oils in your day - your body needs them, so if you have salad, be sure to have olive oil or canola oil or another heart healthy oil - just a tsp at a time makes a difference.  When I cut the oils out of my diet, my HDL (the good cholesterol) dropped - it was in a good high range when I was fat , so I had to incorporate that back into my diet.    If you like almonds, they're a great way to get some good oils, fiber and calories without having too many.  Walnuts are also great.  Be aware of what a serving size is.  Be sure to get enough whole grains throughout the day too, so maybe add some oats to your smoothie in the morning, or have it along with some cereal?   

Be sure you're drinking enough water too throughout the day. I'm sure others will have better ideas, but it just doesn't sound like enough calories..

Jen bring some great points here, it does look yummy but I do think as well that it is low on calories, what are you goals, are you trying to loose weight or just fuel your workouts? and how active are you? the more information you provide about yourself the better answers you will receive
2009-08-23 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Bishop, CA
That was an example for a rest day, with no workouts.  Right now I'm running 3-4 times a week (just focusing on running right now) for 30 minutes a day (I'm a beginner) and weight training 2-3 times a week.  Also, I boulder a couple times a week.  What types of foods should I add in for days that I'm working out?  My goal right now is to lose the extra bit of flab on my tummy and thighs and tone up altogether, while getting better at running, biking, and climbing (no swimming because I live in a small town with no year-round pool).
2009-08-23 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Bishop, CA
edit: double post

Edited by yosly 2009-08-23 7:11 PM
2009-08-23 9:41 PM

OK, well this is just my opinion, but here's what I would do.  Note that I generally eat to attain more of a  40/30/30 ratio unless it's a heavy workout day, so my perspective is not really "triathlete".  If I were working out 2x per day I couldn't eat that way, but I have been making lots of progress toward my body composition goals since changing my diet in this way.  I wouldn't dare comment on whether or not this is enough food, because there's no way to determine if it's adequate or not without knowing your weight. 

Breakfast: Add 1 scoop protein.  1 serving of fruit is actually 1/2 cup, so you might want to go with either 1/2 cup or a full cup of fruit.
Snack: Add 1oz almonds for the healthy fats
Lunch: get rid of the figs and instead have a veggie salad with vinaigrette.  I'd also substitute RyKrisp or Wasa Crisps here for whole grains, but that's just me.
Also, the figs would be great for post workout (with some protein, esp post-lift).  I'm not sure what your figs are like, but mine are 3 per serving @ 120 calories, so maybe take note of your serving size here.
Snack: Yummy.  I eat fruit & cottage cheese for my morning snack.  Try unsweetened greek yogurt too!
Dinner: Well, I can't eat chicken, but that looks good to me.  Generally, I don't eat rice that late in the day when I'm trying to lose weight, unless I've just worked out or I have a big workout in the morning.  But that's just me.

Edited by DMW 2009-08-23 9:43 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is there anything missing? Rss Feed