General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch out on PCH, guys Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-23 12:47 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: Watch out on PCH, guys
PCH by Zuma is being repaved and at least five cyclists crashed during the morning today trying to ride the section where the pavement has been stripped off...I heard four of them ended up hospitalized and at least one of those was airlifted from the beach.

Very dangerous stretch until they finish the repaving...from just south of the entrance to Zuma Beach to Trancas.  Consider riding elsewhere.

2009-08-23 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2364631

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: RE: Watch out on PCH, guys

Thanks for the heads up!!

2009-08-23 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
I rode PCH yesterday and saw that stretch of road.  I didn't consider myself a good enough cyclist to even attempt it - it looked nasty.  I am sorry to hear that a bunch of cyclists went down.  Hopefully it will get repaved very soon - like before next weekend. 
2009-08-23 6:03 PM

User image

Yeah, I remember last year when they were doing the Temescal - Cross Creek section.  Was absolutely unrideable (but nice when it was done).   Sorry to hear about the crash, sounds bad
2009-08-23 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2365300

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
ChrisM - 2009-08-23 4:03 PM Yeah, I remember last year when they were doing the Temescal - Cross Creek section.  Was absolutely unrideable (but nice when it was done).   Sorry to hear about the crash, sounds bad

Several crashes.  When my wife and I got to Zuma at 8am, there were about four emergency vehicles on the shoulder just south of the park entrance (right where the repaving work starts) and what appeared to be two injured cyclists.  Not an auspicious start to the day.  One was on a backboard in cervical collar with what looked to be a lot of facial injuries (though those could have been superficial). 

The Disney team didn't use the park exit for its training ride...we walked our bikes up to Trancas to avoid the hazard and just rode the Malibu course from there.  When I was finishing my ride, there was another biker down, with emergency vehicles attending, south of Trancas...and then I was held up--along with another Disney rider and a car--by a ranger in the parking lot access road as the medflight copter was taking off with another rider.  Not a good scene...esp., I'm sure, for all the newbie triathletes out there with Team in Training who were doing the full S/B/R course under race conditions yesterday...and particularly because it appeared they were doing the full bike course, including the hazardous section.
2009-08-24 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2365350

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

tcovert - 2009-08-23 4:38 PM
ChrisM - 2009-08-23 4:03 PM Yeah, I remember last year when they were doing the Temescal - Cross Creek section.  Was absolutely unrideable (but nice when it was done).   Sorry to hear about the crash, sounds bad

Several crashes.  When my wife and I got to Zuma at 8am, there were about four emergency vehicles on the shoulder just south of the park entrance (right where the repaving work starts) and what appeared to be two injured cyclists.  Not an auspicious start to the day.  One was on a backboard in cervical collar with what looked to be a lot of facial injuries (though those could have been superficial). 

The Disney team didn't use the park exit for its training ride...we walked our bikes up to Trancas to avoid the hazard and just rode the Malibu course from there.  When I was finishing my ride, there was another biker down, with emergency vehicles attending, south of Trancas...and then I was held up--along with another Disney rider and a car--by a ranger in the parking lot access road as the medflight copter was taking off with another rider.  Not a good scene...esp., I'm sure, for all the newbie triathletes out there with Team in Training who were doing the full S/B/R course under race conditions yesterday...and particularly because it appeared they were doing the full bike course, including the hazardous section.

wow...thats a bummer! hate to hear anyone getting hurt. if you hear any more about them please keep us posted! will keep them and thier families in my thoughts and prayers....being helicoptered out is not a good sign!

2009-08-24 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2364854

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

jbjboc - 2009-08-23 8:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up!!

X2

2009-08-24 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is definitely bad.  Be careful everyone !  I rode that part of the road too and almost ate pavement myself.  Certainly rattled my eyeballs and teeth rolling over that patch of road coming down the hill - I started at Pepperdine Saturday. The road work starts at Coral something all the way to Zuma - the bike path was smooth for most of it but I was filthy when I finished my ride thanks to all the dust and lose gravel all over the place on that stretch.  Not fun.  Got stuff in my eyes and everything.
2009-08-25 8:35 AM

Los Angeles
On Sunday, I started at the north end of the Zuma parking lot, rode south through the parking lot (not fun because of the speed bumps) and out north.  The first two miles were construction which was not fun.  The rest going north was really nice.  I hope they finish really soon.  I'm going out Sunday again to practice for the Malibu tri.
2009-08-25 1:03 PM

User image

Wow, it's worse than you describe Todd, I guess the ripped up paving started HALF WAY down the Zuma hill, with no signs, so people were hitting it at 30+.  Read an email of injuries including a punctured lung and paralysis......  yikes.  What beaurocratic idiot decided that this work, on this rooute, with no signs, was appropriate
2009-08-26 2:43 AM
in reply to: #2368652

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Don Goldstein - 2009-08-25 6:35 AM On Sunday, I started at the north end of the Zuma parking lot, rode south through the parking lot (not fun because of the speed bumps) and out north.  The first two miles were construction which was not fun.  The rest going north was really nice.  I hope they finish really soon.  I'm going out Sunday again to practice for the Malibu tri.

Actually negotiating the  speed bumps in the parking access road  is a good idea if you are racing the MAlibu triathlon  as they are the first and last mile & half of the bike course .   I would skip the nasty construction and walk your bike from the north end of the lot Tower 14  ( or jog to practice transition skills    to  trancas  and start  riding from there as Todd did. 

Be safe out there folks .   We get a lot of jokes from the newbies at work about sharks & all but i think cycling is the most dangerous part for us in training triathletes. 

2009-08-26 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Just to update this thread (as I live on that stretch and my church is at the midpoint of Zuma) -

All lanes demo'd, one lane repaved.  Night before last they were able to cover the northern most lane (which is the shoulder lane to those of you coming out from Santa Monica, which means we are moderately safer coming off the big hill from Heathercliff)

The Sunday rides were particularly nasty (for injuries and a ridiculous amount of roadside repairs and flats going on), kept hearing reports as people wandered in for worship. 

I second the parking lot recommendation (or even avoiding the stretch till this weekend) as the Southbound stretch at Zuma is really difficult to manage with no lane to the shoulder and cars parked at various depths on the shoulder.  And a LOT of gravel debris is getting tossed around by cars. 

I will drop a line in this thread as conditions improve and hope to have good news by the time your weekend rides roll around.
2009-08-29 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
All lanes to Zuma repaired  and it appears they ran a street sweeper over most of the shoulder, should you be checking this before heading out.
2009-08-29 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2377785

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Revbigdog - 2009-08-29 6:37 AM All lanes to Zuma repaired  and it appears they ran a street sweeper over most of the shoulder, should you be checking this before heading out.

Thanks, Andy...we're heading out there in about five minutes as it happens...timely update! 
2009-08-29 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Great news , we will be out there sunday AM

Thanks Pastor

2009-08-31 5:22 PM

Los Angeles
Yeah, Sunday was a lot better than last week!

2009-09-01 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
Also posted in Malibu Tri thread-

9/1 - Last night the Cal-Trans crews were out and slurry sealed the Northbound shoulder covering the entire section they resurfaced, which includes about 1.4 miles of the tri course.   (I assume they will do the Southbound section tonight)

On a HUGE note - today the Cal-Trans crews tore out and relayed the asphalt section of the access road coming out of Zuma and onto Busch Drive.  It used to ride like cobblestone.
2009-09-01 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2383802

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Revbigdog - 2009-09-01 5:26 PM Also posted in Malibu Tri thread-

9/1 - Last night the Cal-Trans crews were out and slurry sealed the Northbound shoulder covering the entire section they resurfaced, which includes about 1.4 miles of the tri course. (I assume they will do the Southbound section tonight)

On a HUGE note - today the Cal-Trans crews tore out and relayed the asphalt section of the access road coming out of Zuma and onto Busch Drive. It used to ride like cobblestone.

Is this the section that loops under the bridge at the entrance  & north bound exit to zuma ? 

There was a really nasty 50 meters section of pavement  that really needed some love   

2009-09-01 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2383887

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
van_paulus - 2009-09-01 6:26 PM

9/1 - Last night the Cal-Trans crews were out and slurry sealed the Northbound shoulder covering the entire section they resurfaced, which includes about 1.4 miles of the tri course. (I assume they will do the Southbound section tonight)

On a HUGE note - today the Cal-Trans crews tore out and relayed the asphalt section of the access road coming out of Zuma and onto Busch Drive. It used to ride like cobblestone.

Is this the section that loops under the bridge at the entrance  & north bound exit to zuma ? 

There was a really nasty 50 meters section of pavement  that really needed some love   

No kidding!  Pretty sure that's where I broke a spoke in last year's race, which ruined my day.
2009-09-01 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2383887

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
van_paulus - 2009-09-01 6:26 PM

The exact section
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Watch out on PCH, guys Rss Feed