General Discussion Race Reports! » Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run - Run

View Member's Race Log
High Point, NC
United States
Triad Tri Team
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 37m 52s
Overall Rank = 11/16
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to park and met other Triad Tri Team (TTT) members. Wife and kids went with to cheer on and take pics.
Event warmup:

Light stretching. There was spotty rain falling.
Run
  • 37m 52s
  • 4.96 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

No frills race here...no water stops etc, so I hydrated very well before the race. Humid as all get out. Everyone was in the same boat though. Good experience for upcoming humid races in the summer. It was an age graded race. That means that the 40+ men, 30+ women got a 2 min head start over us 30-39 men, 20-29 women, and we got a 2 min lead over the 29 and below men, 19 and below women.

You know...something funky always happens to me every race I do. I get some perverse pleasure out of writing these off the wall things that happen to me...cause I know that you readers out there love to hear about them.

We get a warning before the race about how slippery the bridges are. Hell, the whole course was slippery as it was off and on drizzling the entire time. So in the first mile, I go out way to fast (of course). I wish the garmin was working in the forest cause I was easily in the 6:45 to 7:00 range. Roots everywhere, and yes the bridges were slippery. I come up on one that was right after a sharp turn...its your typical nature trail bridge. Pressure treated wood, no railings scaling a little creek. Maybe 20 feet in length. I lose traction and start into a little power skid...feet start to go out from under me. I'm naturally clumsy, so I'm used to this sort of thing. I put the left hand down on the bridge to stabilize the rightward sliding feet, but I don't slow down. Well, the feet never get anymore purchase. I push off with my left hand to get as vertical as I can. I reach the right edge of the bridge, and wonder if I'm gonna pull this one out or go over the bridge. Luckily, I was 3/4 of the way across and when I finally went over the edge, it was a short little drop...I had a nice little controlled fall, and amazingly enough picked spots for my feet to land that were not ankle killers. I straddle a log, but landed like the cat that I am. The cool thing was I just kept on going...not phased at all.

I paid for not warming up and going out too fast at mile 1.5 to mile 2.5. Slowed to a walk twice. Only walked for about 10-15 secs each time to fight off a very high heart rate. It was here where I realize my true state of fitness and my brand spanking new max heart rate of 194. LOL!

Holy crap...you have to watch every single step you take, or its an ankle. I've never had to pay so much attention to where I'm putting my feet during a race. Huge mental effort required while dodging tree roots, slippery bridges, sharp downhill turns. Its so cool to do every now and then to mix things up, but I was surprised at how much it takes out of you when your running.

After mile 2.5, I got into a good breathing groove with HR around 180. We hit the paved section that was all freaking uphill. 300 ft climb over 1 mile. Time for a confession....don't think I'm screwy now.....I love hills. Ok...I've said it. HR didn't budge for some reason and I felt really good. Pace did slow somewhat from a high 7ish to an 8, but it was a long ass uphill.

Right around mile 3, I got two songs stuck in my head that helped get me through some tough times. Cake's "Going the Distance", and Black Eyed Peas "Lets Get It Started". Very highly recommended.

These trails had me so freakin lost, when I realized I was close to the finish, I cranked it. Last 2 mins were at a 6:45 to 6:30 pace uphill. Felt good to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Better warmup. Warmups need to become so freaking important to me. The faster I can get into my constant HR and muscular state, the better I'm going to do in a race.
Post race
Warm down:

Brought some endurox along. Downed that immediately. Took the kids to a soccer field and we jogged from goal to goal. Pigged out then at the picnic afterwards. Got a free Ironman cycling gloves Hat, and an Ironman cycling gloves T-shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to get faster. Its a heck of a time for me, but everyone else is so much damned faster.

Event comments:

This race was laid back and informal on purpose. Its run by my Tri Team, so even though there weren't water stations, and loudspeakers...that's not the intention. Would do it again. Was lots of fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:52 | 04.96 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 11/16
Performance:
The Garmin had a hell of a time in the trees, so was worthless from a distance standpoint. Used HR. Found out I have a new max HR. HR was in the 192-194 range for over 2 mins. Previously thought to be 186.
Course: Narrow trails for 80% of the run, paved section for about a mile. Roots freaking everywhere, slippery bridges.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run

2005-05-15 4:15 PM
in reply to: #157821

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run

Great descriptive race report. Sounds like a fun race (apart from the traction on the bridges).

"He's going the distance, he's going for speed..."

2005-05-15 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Great race Jeff!!  OMG, LMAO picturing you slip sliding across the bridge!!   What a great race report.  I agree with you that "Get it Started" is an awesome race song.  One of my personal favs!!

2005-05-15 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Brother, I didn't know you were that fast of a runner.  Great race report.  And I agree with you, Cake's "Going for Speed" is a great motivating tune.  Killer race and thanks for taking the time to put it into a race report.

2005-05-15 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race report and great race.  Maybe you should take some ballet or something...I'm kind of a bit of a klutz too so I can commiserate.  Take care and have a great race -SMO
2005-05-15 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Great race, Jeffieooo! You rock through the trees and over the bridges!! Sounds a lot like the run next weekend!! See ya' then!

2005-05-16 1:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-16 8:16 AM

, Alabama

Jeff, you totally rock my world.  Who else can gracefully fall on a log in straddle position (hope you were wearing a cup!!) and gracefully get back up and go like nothing happened!  Awesome race.

Sharon

2005-05-16 8:23 AM

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Holy Schmoly, Jeff, you got fast on the run!  That's looking sooo good. 

Digging the powerslide, that's good stuff...sounds like some excellent dirt track action.  At least you didn't ding up the sheet metal or the drivetrain...

For June we should do a run / speedwork challenge.  I want to get FAST too. 

2005-05-16 9:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
oh man what a great race report....I can see myself skating right off that bridge....ask Wendi clumsy is my middle name so been there done that....the cool part is you land like a cat....not sure I could have pulled that off....hey but you met your goals just keep working on the pace...Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gibson Park Age Graded 8k Trail Run Rss Feed