General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of seat for back pain?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 10:05 AM

User image

New York
Subject: What kind of seat for back pain??
I'm not half as experienced with bikes as all of you out there so I'm hoping you can help me.

I've always had lower back pain but it was never effected by cycling. However, over the last few months my chiro diagnosed me with coccydynia, which is crazy pain in the tail bone. Especially after riding. And I'm talking riding only 3-4 miles and I feel the pain.

Does anyone know if there are any seats that may help alleviate any suffering?

2009-08-24 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2366374

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: What kind of seat for back pain??
I don't know about a certain seat that could help, but my first thought is to suggest a bike fit with someone who is experienced enough to set up people differently for different physical issues.  We have a local guy who is known for his amazing fits.  One of the things he does is make adjustments for things like one leg being longer than the other, pelvis tilt, limited flexibility, past injuries, etc.

2009-08-24 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
If your coccyx is anywhere near the saddle your position is wacky somehow... I would definitely focus on a pro fit session and base any saddle changes on that...
2009-08-24 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
I absolutely agree with DrPete.  If the coccyx is being directly affected by your seat, you are in bad need of a professional fitting.  HOWEVER, any persistent back problem can certainly lead to compensatory biomechanics that can further lead to coccyx issues.  Talk to your chiro about Whitee Patches or Fastt Patches from Wei Laboratories.  I recommend them for many types of back problems like this.
2009-09-02 8:29 PM

User image

New York
Thanks for all the advice. Now I have something in writing to convince my husband that it's time to finally replace my 11 year old Trek!!! Which by the way, isn't even a road bike!!!
2009-09-02 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I will agree that a fitting sounds like it is in order. It does not sound like the pain that you are having is in the same area as the pain I used to have, but stretching the hammies really helped me. Made me a brand new man. Little yoga goes a long way for back pain and cycling comfort. I could stay on the bike much longer and much more comfortably after getting into a little yoga.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What kind of seat for back pain?? Rss Feed