General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed first Sprint--need answers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Completed first Sprint--need answers

Hi All.  I have been reading this site for the last month leading up to my first Sprint triathlon.  I enjoyed every minute of the race and of the training.  OK, I didn't enjoy EVERY minute of the training. 

Here's my background: 37 year old male 5' 10" 164 lbs.  Age Group swimmer between ages 5-17.  Fairly competitive soccer player during those years as well.  No bike experience AT ALL--I grew up on a gravel road!!  I have never participated in a run race, but consider myself a decent runner, but there is always room for improvement.

I have maintained my weight between 158-178 the last 20 years.  I was at my heaviest a couple of years ago during my wife's pregnancy.  What can I say?  The late night run to the grocery store for birthday cake and brownies (with nuts) was important--I didn't want her to have to eat alone!

My first Tri thi weekend consisted of a 500 yard swim--short course, 13.75 bike (hilly course), and a 5 k run.

I did the swim in 7:00 (11/83), T1 in 2:36 (52/83), Bike in 56:06 (71/83) YIKES!!!!!, T2 in 1:01 (36/83) and run in 25:11 (38/83).  I finished 57 out of 83 male competitors.

Now for the obvious---MUST IMPROVE MY BIKE!!!  In my defense, I rode my Marin hard tail mountain bike with slick tires.  Action step numero uno is to get a road bike.  Action step number 2 is to train.

Here's the kicker--I live in Alaska and outdoor training is next to impossible through the winter. 
What would you suggest to be my best training options through the winter?  Should I get a fluid trainer?  Should I sign up for spin classes?  What can I do?

Next year I want to compete in a few Sprints and one Oly.  This thread is not the place for me to discuss bike options, right now I just want to get your imput on the best indoor training methods for a new cyclist.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2009-08-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2367707

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Completed first Sprint--need answers
Hello and welcome! Congrats on your first tri! You did a great job of it!

All right... so you mentioned spin class above. Will that be at a gym on one of their bikes? Or????

Your best bet, after you get your road bike... is to get a good trainer and to settle in for the winter on it. Get some movies!

Good luck!

2009-08-24 5:39 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon City, Oregon
Congrats on finishing your first tri.

My suggestion is get the fluid trainer first.  Throw your mt bike on the trainer in front of the tv and spend some time pedaling this winter.  Based on your bike time and my own experience on a hardtail, I would say you could make some decent improvements on your bike time without getting a road bike right away.   That way if you get into the tri thing, you can go right to a TT bike and skip the road bike altogether.  But, if you're not cash strapped, well then, go for it all.
2009-08-24 5:46 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Either a fluid trainer or a good set of rollers depending on the $$ situation. Rollers will really help promote a smooth pedaling motion.

Also, work on your transitions. Unless the transition time included from when you got out of the water to actually leaving with your bike, there's probably 1:30 of time there, and another :15-:30 in T2 that you can shave off easily.

John
2009-08-24 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the quick responses, guys/gals!  I do want to get a fluid trainer this winter, and your answers thus far pretty much make me feel as though it will be a wise investment.  I have been thinking about getting a new bike this winter simply because the bike shops will have some smokin deals over the winter.  At the same time, I don't know if getting a bike and not being able to test ride it on the road would be wise.  Thoughts?  I am considering a Cervelo Soloist.

I was kinda surprised at my T1 time.  It didn't seem that slow to me, but obviously it was--especially compared to the field.  Socks and bike shoes with laces (why did I go this route) were my downfall.  I also was surprised at my run.  I expected to do the run in 23:30.  Maybe I should have stopped cheesing for the camera and just run!

Nonetheless, it was a great experience.  Well worth it.  I look forward to the day I can offer advice to the next new guy. 

I hope to be a regular here on BT.  I will log my training and other info soon.

Cheers!

2009-08-24 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Well I "trained" and raced last summer using my old MTB and decided that the winter was when I was going to "make my move" (since I was a swimmer growing up and my run times last summer held their own--I knew I needed to take care of the bike).  So I bought myself a tri bike (not looking to start that debate---get yourself the road bike if that's what you want!!!) AND a fluid trainer---signed myself up for an early season race to help keep the motivation up and peddled the winter away...my first race showed some very nice bike improvements!!!  Sounds like you are thinking the right way!!

2009-08-24 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Good job getting out there and doing a TRI! You are way ahead of most of the population.

Spinning on the bike through the winter will do you good. A fluid trainer is good, but if I had the cash (and the LONG winter you do) I would spend a ton and get a computrainer. That just looks like fun to me. You can get a bunch of good DVD's for spinning on the fluid though. I use them, and sometimes I just spin for an hour. Spin class is good too. Breaks up the lame basement training.

T1. Keep it simple. Practice with no socks on the bike. That alone will save you 30sec with wet feet. My T1 consists of ditching the swim cap/goggles, putting on my helmet and shades, running and jumping on the bike. I had a top 10 T1 time this last weekend! (it's the only thing I'm good at LOL!)

Good luck, and remember to just have fun with it.
2009-08-24 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2367781

User image

Champion
get some off road tires and ride the mountain bike in the show this winter!!!!

plowed or semi-cleared roads provide a great place to ride in the winter like that, and sicne you are not going as fast much eiaser to dress for it and not freeze.
2009-08-24 10:03 PM

Fluid trainer it is. Your fitness will excel on this machine of Satan. Do whatever it takes to use this and not only your bike, but your fitness level throughout will excel. As always, get on it with a workout plan and don't just spin. That reminds me. Spin classes are great for looking at babes during the winter (don't take that the wrong way if you are one ), but the bikes are uncomfortable and the classes more germ factory than serious bike training. Get training DVDs, an Ipod, or whatever else gets you on it during the 11 winter months of Alaska. If you can make yourself do a run/bike/run or bike/run/bike workout once a week you be in the best shape of your life. Focus while your on there to get the most out of your time well spent. Alaska is a great place and I am a bit jealous.
2009-08-24 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Before you invest in a road (or tri) bike, do you really have places to ride it?  I haven't been to Alaska, but driving through Montana this summer on our way to Coeur D'Alene I realized that while this was beautiful country, if I were training, I'd have two choices for my rides most of the time:  I could ride East on the main road, or I could ride West on the main road.   There weren't "side roads" with less traffic that went anywhere. It'd get pretty boring for me to ride back and forth on the same roads every ride and I'd be back on the mountain bike and the trails pretty quickly. 

2009-08-24 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.  I am going to invest in a fluid trainer soon.  For those of you curious, Anchorage and the surrounding area has miles of bike trails on which to ride--not to mention you can ride until midnight in June and July.  To my knowledge, there is one olympic triathlon each year.  Before anyone asks, yes EVERYONE wears a wetsuit during that race!

Thanks again for the tips.  I am looking at a fluid Nashbar trainer.  Unfortunately, they don't ship to Alaska. Imagine that.

2009-08-25 12:53 AM

Master

Couple important points based on your race results:

1) Congrats on your first tri! Those are great results, especially for a tri.

2) Your bike split is almost definitely a result of your mtn bike versus your fitness. I can almost guarantee that if you jumped on a crappy road bike, you'd jump 10-15 spots up. I'm a FOP cyclist, but I'd have no chance at all at being FOP if I were on a mtn bike - I'd struggle to be even back of MOP.

3) Getting a road bike is mandatory if you wish to improve your standings on the bike significantly.

If you were just out to finish, the mtn bike is totally fine, but sounds like you want to compete.

I'd recommend getting a top-of-the-line trainer, and not skimping on it. The trainer will likely NEVER break, and when you're on it all winter, you'll be glad you have a good, quiet, and stable one. I'd go Kurt Kinetic or CycleOps Fluid 2. $3-400 is not a lot to spend on a piece of equipment that you can use intensely for years. You can often get the Cycleops for $275ish, and it's excellent.

2009-08-25 4:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Your post made me realise that winter is coming faster than I want

Congrats on your first Triathlon

We live in Iceland and have the same winter problems as you. My first trainer ride will probably be today.

You already got a lot of good advises.

We use the trainer pretty much all winter and on every session I use the TV with it to not get bored. We also have a tons of Spinervals DVDs and they are a lot of fun and you get a good workout in with them.

I take spinning classes from time to time mostly to bike with someone else than myself. I also love spinning as it gets a good sweat out of you.

And then as soon as the last snow clears (which this year was in May here) you get out on the road and pedal as much as you can outside until you will go back on the trainer in September....

2009-08-25 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Well, MN isn't Alaska, but trust me, I understand long winters :p

Get yourself a trainer, for one. If you are done racing for the summer, you don't NEED a road bike yet, and can ride your MTB on a trainer until you find a nice deal on a road bike.

You can spend anywhere from less than $100 to a way lot of money on a trainer. Personally, I have an inexpensive 5-speed nashbar mag trainer that I love, and have had for years. I also have a fluid trainer, as well...but b/c I am a freak, I prefer the mag. I have a much younger version of this trainer: CLICK HERE. The Fluid trainer I have is THIS ONE.

I use a book or magazine pile under the front wheel as a leveler, and throw a towel down to guard against sweat. that and a fan are all you need.

To combat boredom, I HIGHLY suggest netflix or a DVR :p I go through whole seasons of shows. Later, when you've got a base under you, as the season approaches, you may want to check out some interval training type DVDs. Many people like Spinervals. I have a few, and they aren't bad. I prefer The Rides series (Las Vegas and The Rockies), however, as they are actually filmed outside and have much better music :-)

As far as bikes, you have plenty of time now to shop around, see what you like and don't like, and what size you are in different brands. Then, as the winter gets long and boring, you can hunker down to bargain shop :-) Come closer to spring, people start to liquidate stuff cuz they are gear heads and always have to have the latest and greatest...that's when El Cheapos like me snap up all the barely used bikes and wheels for a good deal ;-)
2009-08-25 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2368324

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
NashinAK - 2009-08-24 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.  I am going to invest in a fluid trainer soon.  For those of you curious, Anchorage and the surrounding area has miles of bike trails on which to ride--not to mention you can ride until midnight in June and July.  To my knowledge, there is one olympic triathlon each year.  Before anyone asks, yes EVERYONE wears a wetsuit during that race!

Thanks again for the tips.  I am looking at a fluid Nashbar trainer.  Unfortunately, they don't ship to Alaska. Imagine that.

Side note: I have noticed that states that are under snow most of the year have more bike paths than states that have snow one day a year! What's up with that?

Here in Texas we have close to nothing for bike paths. Our longest paved path in the DFW area is 9 miles around. Yeah.

I go to Minnesota and they have a paved path that is around 100 miles long. !!!!

So unfair. They can't even ride on it 8 months out of the year.
2009-08-26 12:31 AM

Eagle River, Alaska
For what it's worth... I also raced in the same race (Eagle River Tri), I was on a road bike, and I finished the bike 1 minute slower than you (74/83). Similar bike background (none). Just last night I was thinking the same thing, and I ordered a Kurt Kinetic from Sunrise Tri. With their 10% discount for Beginner Tri users, but shipping was about $98! Yikes. I've got two young kids, and can't make it out to the LBS, but last time I was there they didn't have any trainers yet. Some at REI, but didn't see the Kurt Kinetic... Good job on your first tri, and you came in ahead of at least one BT user. (But I kicked your butt in the transitions! )

2009-08-26 12:41 AM

User image

Master
Nash,

I know what you mean about the winter.  They are pretty harsh here as well.  It gets done to around 50-55 degrees some days here in December. :-)

That is why I got a Kurt Kenetic trainer!  even though I haven't used it since March. That seems to be your only real option.  You can of course mix it up with going to the gym...you can always use some pace booty images to keep you going.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Completed first Sprint--need answers Rss Feed