General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hand numbness from cycling...need advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: Hand numbness from cycling...need advice!!
So I went on a 50 mile ride two days ago. I felt little bits of numbness here and there throughout the ride but was able to shake it out. Towards the very end of the ride, it got worse and stayed in the numb state...unable to shake out the numbness. Now it is another day later and the numbness still has not gone away. I tried to do a little research online and what I came up with was that I may have damaged or pinched my ulnar nerve in the palm of my hand from putting too much pressure on the handlebars. I say that it is this nerve because it is only the pinky and ring finger on my left hand that are effected by the numbness. What I'm not sure of is...are there some physical therapy type stretches that should be doing or is there some other cyclists magic trick to get the numbness to go away?? Any help or advice that you guys could give would be so amazing. Thanks so much!!

Matt

2009-08-24 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2367878

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Hand numbness from cycling...need advice!!
Gel gloves?
2009-08-25 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I deal with fairly severe hand numbness on just about every ride I do.  Here are some of the ideas and/or suggestions that I've tried -

Gel-padded gloves...currently I'm wearing a pair of Spenco Ironman Elite T.2 gloves.  Nice gloves, high price tag.  I felt an immediate difference when I first got these, but now that I've worn them for a year, I think the padding is starting to go.  Time for a new pair. 

Changing hand positions frequently...like every few minutes or so.  On the brake hoods, is when most of my numbness kicks in.  So I have to move my hands around all over the bars...but the biggest relief I get is when I drop down onto my aerobars (I ride a road bike with clip-ons).  I can almost instantly feel the blood rushing back into my fingertips, after just a few minutes in aero.

My riding buddy suggested that I add some wrist curls (with a very light dumbell) into my lifting routine, to strengthen my wrists.  This makes sense, because my wrists have always been on the weak side, and I have a tendency to place them in some unnatural positions (I curl my wrists inward while sleeping), which causes a lot of strain.  I've even thought about wearing some kind of flexible wrist brace while riding, but have yet to find one that isn't totally rigid. 

I'm also considering going back to my bike fitter, and having him re-fit me in a much less aggressive riding position.  Right now, my position is fairly aggressive and racey. At the time of my fitting, that was what I was aiming for, but now my needs have changed somewhat...and I don't feel the aggressive position is working well for me. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all, if I was told that I had carpal tunnel or arthritis forming in my wrists.   Anyway....these are some of the things I've been doing to combat the hand numbness.  Hope it was of some help to you.  
2009-08-26 1:25 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've had carpal tunnel syndrome and have had surgery on my left hand.  The advice nscrbug gives is pretty good.  In my case I use gel padded bar tape, and always wear padded gloves on training rides.  The padding wears out over time, so I try to replace my tape and gloves about once a year.

The biggest thing that helps and allows me to do long rides is using my aerobars so that my weight rests on my arms rather than my wrists.  If riding upright, I vary my hand position frequently.

My left wrist bothered me for a long time.  My doctor tried rest, therapy and braces, none of which helped much, before finally deciding on surgery.   The surgery worked well, with the biggest problem being the incision on my palm being tender for a long time afterwards.

Mark 

2009-08-26 4:11 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I'm on a roadie and dealing with this. I moved the bars up more so the top of them is almost dead-on level. I'm still playing with it, but that definitely seems to have helped.
2009-08-26 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida
I had the same numbness in both hands- Specialized BG Gel gloves really helped. Now no problems even after the longest ride.

2009-08-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2371050

User image

Veteran
, Washington
Turnin2 - 2009-08-26 5:26 AM I had the same numbness in both hands- Specialized BG Gel gloves really helped. Now no problems even after the longest ride.

It's funny, those gloves actually made me go numb faster.  Are yours the old (3+ years ago) design or the newer ones?
2009-08-26 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2372461

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
deskjockeyjim - 2009-08-26 3:28 PM
Turnin2 - 2009-08-26 5:26 AM I had the same numbness in both hands- Specialized BG Gel gloves really helped. Now no problems even after the longest ride.

It's funny, those gloves actually made me go numb faster.  Are yours the old (3+ years ago) design or the newer ones?

I'd be interested in the answer to this, as well...as I've been eyeing up the BG Gel gloves as my next pair.  Since the BG Gel gloves didn't work for you...which gloves did you end up going with?  I've heard varying stories about excessively padded gloves...some say it definitely helps combat hand numbness, and others say it makes it worse.  Since I've had good results with the Spenco Ironman T.2 Elite gloves, I'm guessing that I'm one of the people that actually benefits from the gel-padded gloves.  I'm just trying to figure out if there is a better glove out there, and the only one that seems to come close is the BG Gel. 
2009-08-26 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
I have BG in Full finger & No finger.  Like'em.  No numbnessSmile
2009-08-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2372630

User image

Veteran
, Washington
nscrbug - 2009-08-26 2:29 PM
deskjockeyjim - 2009-08-26 3:28 PM

I'd be interested in the answer to this, as well...as I've been eyeing up the BG Gel gloves as my next pair.  Since the BG Gel gloves didn't work for you...which gloves did you end up going with?  I've heard varying stories about excessively padded gloves...some say it definitely helps combat hand numbness, and others say it makes it worse.  Since I've had good results with the Spenco Ironman T.2 Elite gloves, I'm guessing that I'm one of the people that actually benefits from the gel-padded gloves.  I'm just trying to figure out if there is a better glove out there, and the only one that seems to come close is the BG Gel. 

I wound up with gel bar tape and no gloves.  When I do wear a glove in the winter, I prefer a basic leather palmed with no padding.

Gloves seem to be love 'em or hate 'em 100% of the time.  I pay a premium to buy stuff like that at REI now because of the return policy...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hand numbness from cycling...need advice!! Rss Feed