General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi! New to Charlotte Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
Subject: Hi! New to Charlotte
Hi guys! Im Josh, 22 years old and just moved to Charlotte. My girlfriend is teaching for CMS and Im currently looking for work until January when I start Physical Therapy grad school. Im currently training for Ironman #2 and would love to get in some group rides to learn the area. Is there any good way for me to escape Charlotte to find country roads on my bike? I live just east of Uptown very close to where Plaza and Central intersect. Also are there any outdoor lap pools in the area? Ive been craving lap swimming outside ever since i started tri training but wisconsin just didnt work so well for outdoor swimming... anyways hope to meet you all soon!

2009-08-26 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2370305

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Hi! New to Charlotte
Hey Josh...can't say that I know any outdoor lap pools in Charlotte...at least not on the south side.

http://www.tarheelcyclists.org/Weekly_db.php is a good listing of weekly group rides in CLT.

As for getting out to the country...the best riding around Charlotte IMHO is down in Waxhax/Marvin/Weddington (just south of I-485).   You will find a majority of the longer group rides go out that way.  Once out in Marvin/Wedddington/Waxhaw...all you see are horse farms (and lot of other bikers on the weekend).  On any given Sunday morning, I probably see 100+ riders on particular 30 mile loop.    

Now getting there from the plaza is another story!  I know south charlotte like the back of my hand but I am somewhat clueless about Plaza/Midwood other than to tell you you can get a damn good burger and beer at the Penguin!

2009-08-26 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Charlotte
Sign up for the Cane Creek Sprint try the end of september.  It will give you a good introduction into the Waxhaw area, and you will get to meet tons of people who are into the same things as you. 
2009-09-01 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Welcome, Josh!  If you feel like heading north for some hill work, there are a lot of riders in the Davidson and Mooresville area as well.  There are a lot of people (casual groups) that meet at the Y in Cornelius in the parking lot on Saturday mornings plus several bike shops in the area.  Cool Breeze (at exit 33) has an organized ride as well as The Spirited Cyclist (at exit 25).  I would put the group out of the Spirited Cyclist at one of the fastest groups in the area.  They usually do 50-60 milers on Saturday mornings at 20mph or more.

Plenty of country roads north and east of Davidson and Mooresville.

Greg
2009-09-09 2:14 PM

User image

The only outdoor lap pool in your area is the Cordelia pool on North Davidson. Scroll down on the webpage below.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Aquatics/Outdoor+P...

For indoor swimming, the best option near you is the Mecklenburg Aquatic Center (same link as above, click on Aquatic Center Information).

What ironman are you training for?

2009-09-09 2:51 PM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Josh,
     There is a Tri Club in the Cornelius area you might have interest in (a bit of a ride for you) But I don't have their information here at work.  They do a lot of riding.   I'll send it to you when I get home tonight.  I live in Concord, but if you want to do some open water swimming, the Davidson YMCA runs OWS every two weeks in the summer months.  A LOT of people attend it, but the YMCA runs it well and it's fun.  Welcome!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi! New to Charlotte Rss Feed