General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Time to Buy a Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-25 4:40 PM

User image

Catonsville
Subject: Best Time to Buy a Bike
Any suggestions as to when is the best time of the year to get a deal on a new bike?  I am looking at a bike that is currently 15% off.  Any chance I could find a better deal later in the year?

2009-08-25 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2370330

User image

Subject: RE: Best Time to Buy a Bike
I would think so, it depends on how patient you are.  I waited and watched a bunch of websites until I found both my tri abd road bikes on clearance.   Probably 30% off retail for each.....
2009-08-26 6:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

my local bike shop always has big sales in march to get rid of last years bikes. good sales but choices are slim

2009-08-26 7:19 AM

User image

Veteran

I know our Trek store (Madison) has TTX's listed for almost 1/2-2/3 price right now because they expect new models in the next month. If it wasn't for work being slow now and layoffs looming I would buy mine right now.

I have noticed large sales in spring also but choices are very slim.

2009-08-26 7:35 AM

User image

Columbia, MD
new models (and new prices) are generally announced at interbike, the last weekend in September. That's kind of when shops seem to expect people to decide to either wait or hurry up and buy the current models before the inevitable price increase.

If you size is still available, the longer you wait the better you'll do. But then again, the longer you wait, the less likely your size will be available.

I'm a bike addict, and a bargain addict. 15% off is not generally a deal I'd jump on, unless it's a brand that always sells for MSRP (Giant, for example, seems to be pretty firm about their prices, where Felt... I don't think you could pay what their web site says even if you tried).

So, in other words, it depends. Depends on the brand, depends on if you have your heart set on that bike (would you be upset if they sold out, and you couldn't get it at all?), depends on if you ride a high-demand size.
2009-08-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2371070

User image

Extreme Veteran
fausto - 2009-08-26 5:35 AM new models (and new prices) are generally announced at interbike, the last weekend in September. That's kind of when shops seem to expect people to decide to either wait or hurry up and buy the current models before the inevitable price increase.

If you size is still available, the longer you wait the better you'll do. But then again, the longer you wait, the less likely your size will be available.

I'm a bike addict, and a bargain addict. 15% off is not generally a deal I'd jump on, unless it's a brand that always sells for MSRP (Giant, for example, seems to be pretty firm about their prices, where Felt... I don't think you could pay what their web site says even if you tried).

So, in other words, it depends. Depends on the brand, depends on if you have your heart set on that bike (would you be upset if they sold out, and you couldn't get it at all?), depends on if you ride a high-demand size.

When you say that about Felt are you meaning that most shops sell for above or below MSRP? I am looking at getting a bike this winter (I hope) and one of the ones in the running is a felt. I have not priced them at my local shops yet, just looked at online reviews and component comparisons. However if the sell for less than MSRP then that would make me really happy because instead of the S32 being the model I would look at, it would instead by the B16

2009-08-26 10:41 AM

New user

www.performancebike. com is having an additional 20% off today on already reduced prices, they seem to carry mostly Fugi's.  I got a Fugi Team RC that retails for $4000, for only $2200 and that includes tax.   
2009-08-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2371626

User image

Columbia, MD
bel83 - 2009-08-26 1:36 PM
When you say that about Felt are you meaning that most shops sell for above or below MSRP? I am looking at getting a bike this winter (I hope) and one of the ones in the running is a felt. I have not priced them at my local shops yet, just looked at online reviews and component comparisons. However if the sell for less than MSRP then that would make me really happy because instead of the S32 being the model I would look at, it would instead by the B16

less. None of the Felt dealers near me were over 90% Felt's listed MSRP on anything. It seems like some brands treat MSRP like cars - where it's just an excuse for the dealer to claim they are giving you a good deal, even though no one pays that much.

word of warning though: I tried to buy a b16 this time last year, only to find out they were already sold out of the '09s in my size.
2009-08-27 2:09 PM

User image

Central NY
I just bought my first road bike after a month of research and test rides.  My LBSs had killer closeout offers on 2008 & 2009 bikes, but very limited to no selection on size.  What they did hav in greater quantities was more of the low end aluminum bikes with lesser components, it was tremendously difficult to find mens or womens bikes in my size in a Shimano 105 component group or higher, let alone carbon frames.  (I am roughly a 54 depending on line, so a fairly common size.)

To make matters worse, they could not order 2009 bikes, as stock at the manufacturers was low, and many of the 2010 bikes aren't out yet, so I had a really limited number of choices that I could actually get a test ride on.  I went with Giant's Avail Advanced 2 with MSRP of $2400 that I got for $1999.  I agree I don't think there is a lot of wiggle room on the Giants, but I think they wanted to move it.

So, if you find a good deal on something you love, don't wait, snap it up, or plan to resume your purchase after the 2010 bikes are all out. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Time to Buy a Bike Rss Feed