General Discussion Race Reports! » Fat Tire Triathlon Series Race # 1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fat Tire Triathlon Series Race # 1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Tempe, AZ
United States
DCB
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 35s
Overall Rank = 16/34
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/12
Pre-race routine:

Not much.
Event warmup:

Jogged around a bit. I used the first 200 meters of the swim for my warm up. (Stupid idea, I know, but I was to cold to get in and swim before the race. I didn't take this race to seriously, I really wasn't ready for it.)
Swim
  • 32m 10s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I hadn't done much swimming and I knew the biggest deal was going to be to get into my rythm before running out of breath. So I took the first few hundred really slow. It paid off however because I felt really good the rest of the race. Not fast by any means but steady and I felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Train a little harder and try to take some time off. Warm up first so I can start off faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

Had my old lace up mountain bike shoes, my others broke, very slow had to sit down.

I will get new shoes before the next one
Bike
  • 1h 17m
  • 14 miles
  • 10.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty rough course, Everyone I talked to wrecked at least once. I didn't wreck but I did however put a foot down 3 times.

Just be more ready for it. He never put out a cours map, now that I know the course I will ride it several times before the next one.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Run
  • 48m 43s
  • 5.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

TERRIBLEW!!!! I paid for not training throughout the race but mostly in the run. Within the first mile I got huge charlie horses on the tops of each of my legs, just above the knees. I thought I was going to have to quit and didn't know if I could even walk back to the beginning. I stopped for a bit then just clinched my teeth and walked until they started to go away. Then I'd run as far as I could untill I they came back and I'd have to walk again. I walked probably 4 times. I got passed by Jason and some lady. (I'd never have let that happed last year)

More block training. Mountain biking to trail running.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just didn't have time to train. Infact the 2 weeks before the race I didn't bike, run, or swim.

Event comments:

Had a very poor participant turn out due to two things. The Pat Tillman tri the next day was the biggest problem. Also I don't think he should have done the long course on the first race. I knew several people that just weren't ready for the 1500 meter swim yet. They will do the next shorter one and probably would have done this one had it been later in the season.
Also to begin with the bike course wasn't marked very well. There were several places you could have gone either way. And since he never put out a course map it's hard to blame it on us for not knowing the course. I talked to one guy that was pretty upset because his first lap ended up at Rio Salado somewhere.
Other that those it was a good race. Plenty of drink stations, friendly volunteers and an all around good time.

Last updated: 2005-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:10 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/34
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:00 | 14 miles | 10.91 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Pretty rough mountain bike
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:43 | 05.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: probably 1.5 miles of trail run then the rest on sidewalks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes