General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedals = calf pain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-26 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
Subject: Clipless pedals = calf pain?
I was having calf pain and thought it was related to running.  So after spending $$$ on the foot doc and custom orthotics, plus lord knows how many pairs of running shoes, I am now convinced my calf pain stems from my clipless pedals.   I had an A HA moment when I realized I'd had no pain through my last tri and the weeks leading up to it; the only change in routine was training with regular shoes rather than my clipless set up.  A few days after the tri, I got back on the bike with my clipless set-up and the pain returned in full force.

Anyone else ever discover this?  I'm guessing it's an issue with the cleat position but don't know how to fix it. In the meantime, I am so happy I can run and train so long as I stay away form the cleats until they are fixed.  Anyone think maybe a change in cleats would help? I currently use  SPD..

2009-08-27 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2373059

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Clipless pedals = calf pain?
Just taking a guess here,
Does your calf hurt when your stretch it OFF the bike.  If your seat height is incorrect (too high/too low), you could be over extending your calf (driving the pedals with your heels) or over flexing (pedaling with your tippy toes).  I'm guessing the former. (Note:  I'm not a medical professional, but I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express)
2009-08-28 9:45 AM

New user

Sorry this is my first post but...

Among the suggestions above, try sliding your cleat toward the heal of your shoe. You may be pedaling too much with your forefoot. It's all personal preference but I like my cleats to be to the rear of the ball of my foot.
2009-08-28 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

also check the position of your cleats. if they are off center the slightest bit it can cause problems with knee and calf

2009-09-01 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
MIRACLE follow up!!  I read the psot above about moving the cleats back and then opened my new issue of Bicycling magazine with an article suggesting the  same thing.  Moved my cleats as far back as I could on the shoe and guess what?  No pain after a 2 hour ride!  Amazing...   Did feel more effort in my quads, which makes sense since apparently my calves were doing far more work in the other position.   I am so grateful to all of you who suggested moving the cleats - thank you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless pedals = calf pain? Rss Feed