General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season swim, Training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-27 8:55 AM

Subject: Off season swim, Training?

As the day get shorter and the weather getting cooler I am already thinking about my off season training.  I dont have regular access to a pool (I have to pay a daily fee).  I was planning on swimming once a week in the off season.  Will this maintain my swim fitness?  I really just plan to fix my stroke for next season and get a littl faster.  If not, I have to think about joining another club where I can swim more. thanks.

Also, I was thinking of the following off season weekly schedule. Comments?

2 bikes, 2 runs, 1 swim, 2 weight training sessions per week.  I just have one sprint behind me and I want to come back stronger for next year...I also plan to run a 1/2 marathon and or a 10 k this fall.

As far as results from my sprint:

2:30 per 100, 1/2 mile swim
18 mph bike, 13 miles
9:30 , 4.4 mile run.

Looks like the swim and the run could use a lot of help.

2009-08-27 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2373625

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Off season swim, Training?
You won't be able to do much in one swim session a week. Based on your average time per 100 in the half mile (assuming distance was accurate), you have some form issues. You'll need to make the decision is you want to address the form, but it won't be fixed swimming once a week. If you truely want to fix the issue, get a one-on-one swim coach (or online videos something) and swim four-five times a week. Really work on improving your form in the water. Video taping is a great way to correct some issues.

This is WHAT I WOULD DO in order or priority

1. Run 5 times a week
2. Swim 5 times a week
3. Two Rides a week (Hard sessions on the training -90 min MAX)

Drop the weights unless you're an older athlete.

My .02 cents.
2009-08-27 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2373625

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Off season swim, Training?
Thaitri - 2009-08-27 6:55 AM

As the day get shorter and the weather getting cooler I am already thinking about my off season training.  I dont have regular access to a pool (I have to pay a daily fee).  I was planning on swimming once a week in the off season.  Will this maintain my swim fitness?  I really just plan to fix my stroke for next season and get a littl faster.  If not, I have to think about joining another club where I can swim more. thanks.

Also, I was thinking of the following off season weekly schedule. Comments?

2 bikes, 2 runs, 1 swim, 2 weight training sessions per week.  I just have one sprint behind me and I want to come back stronger for next year...I also plan to run a 1/2 marathon and or a 10 k this fall.

As far as results from my sprint:

2:30 per 100, 1/2 mile swim
18 mph bike, 13 miles
9:30 , 4.4 mile run.

Looks like the swim and the run could use a lot of help.

Why the weight training?

At 2:30/100, you either are horribly out of shape or have significant form issues. I'd trade in the 2 sessions a week of weight lifting, and get 3 sessions of GOOD stroke and drill instruction. Spend the $$, get an instructor, do drills and form work for 3-6 months. It won't take long to get swim fitness back, and if you do the work, I can guarantee you would be sub 2:00/100 when you get it all together.

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season swim, Training? Rss Feed