General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating clean and eating out...r/o Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-27 3:38 PM

Veteran
Subject: Eating clean and eating out...r/o

Due to health and weightloss reasons, I try to stick to a healthy, low GI diet and avoid wheat.

(Warning, rant coming  However it's made me hate eating out most places b/c IF they even offer salads, the dressings are thick, gloppy and gross.  Or it comes with croutons and a roll, etc.  Yes, I can skip both, but then I've got about 150 calories worth of iceburg lettuce and a sad grilled, "formed" chicken breast, which leaves me starving shortly.

I have a few places I love, but I tend to eat out b/c of work, and it's hard convincing my coworkers to eat at Whole Foods.

I'd honestly rather just skip the eating out all together, but have been advised to be more 'social' at work...so dilemma. 

*Sigh*  Don't suppose anyone has any fabulous clean eating tips to make eating out more palatible? (sp?)

2009-08-27 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2374889

User image

Veteran
Brownstown, MI
Subject: RE: Eating clean and eating out...r/o
The greatest decision I've ever made about eating:  Bringing my George Foreman to work.  It makes eating right for lunch sooooo much easier...yummy.
2009-08-27 3:52 PM

New user
Why not order sides?

Plain baked potato.  Dry steamed veggies.  Brown rice.  Pasta with olive oil.  Grilled chicken breast with dry side of steamed veggies.

There are not too many restaurants right now that won't bend over backwards to fulfill special requests right now.
2009-08-27 3:59 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

IMHO ... go out with the co-workers. If you're eating at a place that has no options plan to eat a healthy snack an hour before and eat the salad and chat with the co-workers, be social and eat another snack in the afternoon.

If you're at a place that is more likely to work with you ask for a plain baked potato  or for lower GI a sweet potato, some steamed veggies and a protein. If they have salsa or marinara ask for some on the side and you have lunch.

If you're going for mexican order corn tortillas and a side of black or pinto beans (ask if they cook them with lard) some salsa and lettuce and whatever toppings sound good.

If you're going greek try some lean kababs with yogurt or hummus. 

Suggest Japanese ... sushi, seaweed salad, veggies, lean meat it's all good and there are usually options that everyone likes.

When it comes to clean eating don't hesitate to ask for what you want.

2009-08-31 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
I'm also low GI way of eating so I understand.  We do restaurant lunches a few times a year for birthdays and boss' day etc. 

Almost all restaurants offer salads w/ grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp on top.  Ask for vinegar and oil on the side rather than dressing.  I prefer not to use balsamic (contains sugar), so I usually ask for red wine, but I'm not overly picky about this.  I usually pick off the croutons, but you can ask that they not even put them on.

Simply entree options such as grilled chicken or salmon (forego the goopy sauces or ask for the sauce on the side). Can't go wrong with steak!  Even pasta places usually have a chicken, salmon or steak options of some sort.

Any entree that comes with a baked potato, ask for broccoli instead.  They always accommodate this.

I know people who order burgers or sandwiches and simply don't eat the bread.  I don't care for this option, but at least it is an option.

Mexican I do chicken or steak fajita and eat it without the tortillas, or get the chicken fiesta salad.

I feel oriental places are most difficult simply because everything is covered in sugar goo, so I try to find the options with the least goop or sauce.

This is what works for me.  Good luck!

Edited by maria40nc 2009-08-31 9:37 AM
2009-09-07 8:46 PM

User image

Expert

^^^X2

Our family eats out often.  I have not found a restuarant yet that wont accommidate my request.  Although you can forget Chinese or Olive Garden.  For lunch I will get a sandwich (burger, chicken) and ask for no bun and extra lettuce.  Use the leaf lettuce in place of bread and sub a salad or steamed broccoli or vegi's for potato or fries.  At the mexican place we frequent I typically get a Taco Salad (No shell, no beans and no dressing) and use salsa and a little fresh lime for dressing. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating clean and eating out...r/o Rss Feed