General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Cozumel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-27 11:10 PM

User image

Santa Maria
Subject: Ironman Cozumel
Is anyone else doing this ironman, and if so where is everyone staying. Also what wheels would you suggest for this race. I plan on renting from raceday wheels, I was thinking of 404 or 808. I hear it could get a little windy roughly around 10 to 20mph.

2009-08-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2375541

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel

My husband and I are doing the race.  We are staying at Melia Cozumel.  Check out the IM Cozumel race thread- there's  alot of good discussion there.  Not sure of which race wheels are best to use- the website definitely doesn't recommened disc wheels- not sure about the others.

2009-08-28 9:53 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I'll be riding my stock 650 wheels

staying here:
http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/CZMRC/main.wnt
2009-08-28 8:53 PM

Not a whole lot of action on IMCoz threads these days. Maybe b/c we still have 92 days left...lots of training time left. Anyway, my wife and I are excited and desperately looking for a little R&R after the race. We've booked the Wyndham but are thinking about changing to a different hotel before the race as I don't want to gain 5 pounds in the days leading up the event --all-inclusive = feeding frenzy
2009-08-31 9:04 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
from the website:

Are disk wheels allowed?
Yes but due to the strong wind in some parts of the bike course we do not recomend it.
2009-09-10 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
It's time for me to figure out the details of my Cozumel trip. I hope it's not too late, but I doubt it. I've read through this thread, but I thought I'd summarize everything into one question and see if it elicits some reponses. Thanks

Lodging - - anyone staying at the host hotels or are people doing condos? I have about 6 or 8 people total coming so that will be expensive if we're doing rooms, so I'm consider condos. Anyone staying at condos to recommend or how they found them (online, local travel agent, the IM website??)

Flying - I believe it's cheaper to fly to Cancun and water taxi across than directly to Cozumel. Is that a giant hassle or what? Is it even true? What destination are people using?

The bike - sadly TriBikeTransport doesn't seem to be supporting IM Cozumel. Is any other bike transport company doing it? How about using FedEx or something like that? Or is flying with my bike the best bet? Which airline? I'm flying out of Seattle.

Edited by brucemorgan 2009-09-10 10:43 AM

2009-09-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2398788

User image

Re: discs.   Here's a pic I posted on that other board.....   You will be riding directly north and south on this road for several miles, the prevailing wind is from the east (and there is no protection at all on the east side).  Note the palm tree on the left     This is shortly before you turn east and hit the turnaround.   The bad news is you will also be riding several miles directly into that wind.  The good news is you will be riding several miles with that tailwind   Of course, it may not be windy, but I wouldn't count on it.  Just like I wouldn't count on there being no current on the swim.   That's why it's so popular wth divers

Flying - I believe it's cheaper to fly to Cancun and water taxi across than directly to Cozumel. Is that a giant hassle or what? Is it even true? What destination are people using? The bike - sadly TriBikeTransport doesn't seem to be supporting IM Cozumel. Is any other bike transport company doing it? How about using FedEx or something like that? Or is flying with my bike the best bet? Which airline? I'm flying out of Seattle.

Yes, flying into Cancun and taking the ferry over is cheaper in real dollar terms, but not necessarily in time/hassle.  Count on adding about 3 hours to your travel.  From Cancun it's a bus to the ferry terminal, then the ferry over, then a cab to your hotel/condo.  Those are minor expenses but will probably add $50?  or so to your total, as well as frustration to your day.  And who knows how badly your bike box is being handled.    Then, you get to do it in reverse  .  I've done both with heavy dive gear, can't imagine with luggage and a bike box.  Certainly worth (to me) about a $100-150 difference to fly directly into Coz.

Edited by ChrisM 2009-09-10 12:07 PM
2009-09-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2398788

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
brucemorgan - 2009-09-10 11:42 AM It's time for me to figure out the details of my Cozumel trip. I hope it's not too late, but I doubt it. I've read through this thread, but I thought I'd summarize everything into one question and see if it elicits some reponses. Thanks Lodging - - anyone staying at the host hotels or are people doing condos? I have about 6 or 8 people total coming so that will be expensive if we're doing rooms, so I'm consider condos. Anyone staying at condos to recommend or how they found them (online, local travel agent, the IM website??) No condo for me since it will just be my husband and I going.  We are staying at the Melia Cozumel and ended up booking our reservations through vacationstogo.com It worked out well because it was cheaper that way than it would have been calling up ourselves with the IM discount code

Flying - I believe it's cheaper to fly to Cancun and water taxi across than directly to Cozumel. Is that a giant hassle or what? Is it even true? What destination are people using? The bike - sadly TriBikeTransport doesn't seem to be supporting IM Cozumel. Is any other bike transport company doing it? How about using FedEx or something like that? Or is flying with my bike the best bet? Which airline? I'm flying out of Seattle.
  The IM Cozumel website recommends that you fly with your bike- that's what we are going to do.  Check out US Airways- they have a deal that you can fly with your bike for free if you book your flight through the IM website.  They will send you a voucher via email that you need to take with you when you check your bike. 

We ended up getting a direct flight out of Charlotte to Cancun.  Flying to Couzmel was too pricy.  Plus we didn't want to have a connection since we are flying with our bikes.  Also, be careful when you book your flights because if you are on an expressjet there's a chance that since your bike is an oversized piece of luggage it may not make it on the flight if there isn't any room.  A lady from Continental told me this when I was asking her ?'s on the phone regarding flying with a bike- I never knew that.

Also, this is the bike case I'll be using to fly with.  Just google "Pika Packworks" to see it- I don't know how to attach a link.  I've heard/read very good things about this particular bike case.  The case itself is pretty light while providing adequate protection for your bike.  A lot of times I've heard that it is mistaken for a large suitcase and if you have a light bike you'll only have to pay for it being slightly oversized.  However, none of that should be a problem if you fly US Airways and get the bike voucher   And since we'll be hopping in a cab and on a ferry we wanted bike cases that would be easy to travel with.

I believe Delta is one of the more pricey airlines to fly with your bike.  Not sure about the others.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Cozumel Rss Feed