General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I <heart> bilateral breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: I <heart> bilateral breathing
I've been hearing for months, here and from a workout buddy, that I ought to learn how to breathe from either side when I swim. "What for?", thought I, "I can barely swim as it is why do I want to complicate matters by turning my head in a direction other than left?".

Well, about a month ago I decided to give it a try and give breathing on my right a chance. At first I felt like I was sinking, sloppy and swimming crooked. After a while I got used to it and would switch back to my left side if I felt fatigued. Since I only swim OWS in the ocean I could focus on training the right side for hundreds of yards without interruption.

So this morning I walk in to the ocean ready to start my swim and I had to stop and think for a moment which side was my "good" side to breath on. Success! In only a month I was able to break my single-side habit and feel equally comfortable breathing right or left. And in only 12K yards! I have to tell anyone who has not tried to learn bilaterally that it is absolutely 100% worth it. For an open water swimmer like myself it means I don't have to spend 50% of my swim time breathing in to the sun, wind and waves. I'm incredibly more comfortable when the wind kicks up or the seas are rough because I can now protect my vision and breathing in any direction. Also, and this is more anecdotal because I don't have a really good way to time myself over distance, I think I'm swimming faster. I feel like my pull is more balanced and my body rotation is more symmetrical. Minimally I feel smoother overall and I find I'm able to concentrate more on other aspects of my stroke like my kick and hand entry.

Long story short, if you haven't already try to take the time to learn how to breathe from either side. Ultimately it's easier than you think and the benefits will be obvious once you've converted to a bilateral breather.

Edited by Spleen 2009-08-28 11:38 AM

2009-08-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2376474

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: I <heart> bilateral breathing
Spleen - 2009-08-28 12:37 PM  At first I felt like I was sinking, sloppy and swimming crooked. 

I can identify with THAT statement.  Thank you for the inspiration to keep practicing!  I'm sure I'll have that breakthrough as well if I keep at it.

Maria
2009-08-28 1:05 PM

User image

Panama City Beach
Just the push I needed.  My coach has yelled at me forever to breath on the left, not just the right.  I am not training for any tris at the moment, so I think I will cut out breathing to the right (cold turkey) for one month and see what happens.  
2009-08-28 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

My breakthrough happened this summer too!  My swim times have now taken me from the BOP to the MOP.  The OWS is no longer the scary beast it once was!

2009-08-28 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Since I've been reading about this so much on here in the past week or so, I decided to really put forth the effort. So, twice this week I have incorporated sets taking turns on each side. Tonight I really mixed it up by doing bilateral breathing switching sides breathing every two strokes. I actually am starting to do the every two strokes pretty comfortably. But I also forced my self to swim full 100's on my weak side before going back to my good side. It was really hard, but I also feeling it getting easier. It was bugging me only breathing to one side and thinking I was going to cause an imbalance. I do a lot of weight training and focus a lot of keeping everything balanced--so tweaking myself during swimming didn't sit well with me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I <heart> bilateral breathing Rss Feed