General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick with a question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 12:17 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Sick with a question.

For the daily, should I try that distance thread.  I want to do an Oly. 

I was on track, and then two weeks of bronchitis.  Pushed to start training again too early, and now it is back but on the mend.  My guess is I will be able to train again starting Tuesday or so.  The race is Sept 27th .  I am comfortable with all the distances except the swim.  I have done a 25 mile ride/6 mile run brick and it went well, although that was a month ago.  I can cover 1750 yards in the pool, but have not done it in the open water yet.    My primary motivation for doing the Oly is to gain confidence swimming, going into the winter.  I want to do a HIM next year (Lake Stevens) and feel like it would help me to know that I have gone close to the 1.2 in an event. 

My primary question I guess, is how long will it take me to get back to where I was with my conditioning?  Also, am I better off taking longer than I think I need to recover, to actually make sure I do and this does not come back again?  Should I just skip the race?  I would prefer to do an Oly than do another sprint to improve my time, but that is an option.

So far this year I have done a half marathon a couple 5k’s an organized 8 mile trail race, and one sprint.  My logs are up to date, but I didn’t start using them until around the begging of july.

2009-08-28 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2376563

User image

Ventura County, California
Subject: RE: Sick with a question.
You should go for the Oly.
Getting sick is a part of life. Roll with it. Just don't get too amped to come back too soon, too hard. Don't try to make-up for lost time... that's the worst mistake.
Yes, you may be a little slower on race day than you would have been without the illness, just accept that and move on. It sounds like your goals are all still intact... the training for next year, the experience, etc. nothing that is too adversely affected by this downtime.

You might even surprise yourself.
In the past, I have had two mountain bike races where I podiumed after being pretty sick in the week before the race. (Bad head colds, not Bronchitis) Both races, I started the race at the back thinking of it as just an exercise. Both races, I started with zero expectations.
Your body has an amazing ability to right itself. I have to think that while you are down, some aspects of your body have been recovering from your previous training.
After Bronchitis, I am sure it will take a little time for your body/lungs to feel right but be patient it will come back.
2009-08-28 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
agreed - i think you have the fitness needed to get it done.  three weeks of training, get in a few OWSs, one week taper, and you'll have a blast.
2009-08-28 4:02 PM

Go for the OLY. Recover fully with an extra few days of down time and then ease into the full workouts again. You won't feel 100% for a few weeks but if you ease into your full w/o and then a good taper week you should be fine. Don't go out to win the OLY. Do as you said, just use it to gain that swim confidence. Really, the OWS is more mental and using your head. You can do it in the pool then you can conquer the OW. Just be calm, focus, and if you need a break..float for a bit. No shame in taking a break if you need. It'll be an great experience you will think about forever. It'll get you some practice sighting which is some peoples biggest obstacle to OW. It'll also get you used to the crowd if you haven't experienced that yet. Go for it with the mindset you are just doing a long training day. You'll have fun and something to remember in Feb when its 20 degrees and you have to hit the pool for that HIM w/o.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick with a question. Rss Feed