General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Effect of Strength Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-08-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2376677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Effect of Strength Training
One of the things that drew me to this sport is the relative balance of the training. In and of itself this should be preventative of injury. This has been an interesting discussion. My $0.02...this is a "beginners site," as such I wonder if we aren't subject to seeing "beginners mistakes." IF someone elects to pursue weight/strength training...it would be wise to consider advice developing a program that is as well balanced as the ones we hope to pursue with sbr...imbalanced weight training is implicated in increased injury rates. What comes to mind is too much biceps/pecs i.e anterior exercise the beginner (even 50 YO) "knows" how to do can increase shoulder injures...impingement syndromes etc. Too much "core" work can increase lower back problems. Sciatica is more likely associated with weight lifting with a disproportionate focus than stopping weights and pursuing well balanced sbr...

Summary (if I am not being clear) weights by definition can more easily focus on single muscle group and if not properly "balanced" can increase, not decrease injury...especially in the novice.

Train safe and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Effect of Strength Training Rss Feed  

of 4