General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit fit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wetsuit fit question
My wetsuit arrived yesterday from Xterra.  W00t!  It's my first one.

I tried it on last night and I was honestly concerned that my hips were going to bust the thing, which is weird because I have practically NO hips.  I ordered the suit according to the women's size chart - I am 5'6" and around 125-130 lbs.  That puts me between sizes so I ordered the smaller size, women's medium small, because I am fairly small-boned for my height and figured a snug fit is good.

Anyway, I went to get it on and I couldn't get it past my hips.  Or maybe I could've but didn't want to push my luck.

I've read that it should stretch out a bit in water and that it should be snug.  I'm thinking I should probably just order next size up, though, which would be a women's medium.  Does this sound right to you all?  Just wanted to check before I send it back since I've never done this wetsuit thing before.  Thanks!

2009-08-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2376843

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Wetsuit fit question
Nothing on the suit should be so tight that it is uncomfortable. I'd probably go up a size. If something than is too big you may have to look for a different brand. Suits are cut differently from one brand to another.
2009-08-28 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Same thing here with my wetsuit.  I bought it used-it is a Zoot Zenith full wetsuit.  I got the medium which according to the size chart is what I should have.  I can't get it over my hips.  I haven't used body glide or baby powder and I will try that, but I don't want to rip it either.  I actually weigh a little less than the size chart and my height is spot on, so I don't know if I should try to sell it on ebay and order a bigger suit, or just keep trying.  Maybe if I ever get it on, it will stretch a bit. 
2009-08-28 4:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Different brands can be a surprisingly huge difference in fit. I tried Zoot and QR suits, and neither fit me very well. But my B70 fits like it was tailor-made.  It helps if you have a store nearby with several options available to try.  Otherwise, don't accept a bad fit - there's one out there somewhere that's a good fit if you look for it, and it's soooo worth it!

Cheers, Chris
2009-08-28 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
happyshoes - 2009-08-28 11:55 AM My wetsuit arrived yesterday from Xterra.  W00t!  It's my first one.

I tried it on last night and I was honestly concerned that my hips were going to bust the thing, which is weird because I have practically NO hips.  I ordered the suit according to the women's size chart - I am 5'6" and around 125-130 lbs.  That puts me between sizes so I ordered the smaller size, women's medium small, because I am fairly small-boned for my height and figured a snug fit is good.

Anyway, I went to get it on and I couldn't get it past my hips.  Or maybe I could've but didn't want to push my luck.

I've read that it should stretch out a bit in water and that it should be snug.  I'm thinking I should probably just order next size up, though, which would be a women's medium.  Does this sound right to you all?  Just wanted to check before I send it back since I've never done this wetsuit thing before.  Thanks!

I'm 5' 6", 136 lbs., also small boned, and I bought the women's medium. At my height and weight, I was actually on the border for the next size up. That said, it fits me just right. It took the expected amount of time to work everything up to where it was supposed to be and felt snug but not like it was going to rip anywhere.  You may be more on the low end of the range for the women's medium. I don't know...call them and let them know how it felt and see what they say.
2009-08-29 2:27 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Be careful about going up a size. I have had a wetsuit that was too big......and ended up taking on water like a sinking ship as I swam. Luckily the shop took it back. My current suit is really tight when I put it on......but in the water it is perfect. Also the other thing to consider is that until a wetsuit has been soaked it will be MUCH harder to get on. The Desoto website recommends that you give it a good soak at the beginning of the season to kind of soften it up. But I do not know if this means that you will not be able to return yours. 

Good Luck! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit fit question Rss Feed