General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ellipticals and Run Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 4:27 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ellipticals and Run Training
Hey All,

So, today I started working out in a gym, along with riding my bike everyday. I did the elliptical machine today and thought of somethings.

Can the elliptical machine replace some run training (like 3 days on an elliptical and 2 on your feet), all run training, or should you just strictly run when you are training to run. I really liked the elliptical today (didnt hurt my back and there is much lower impact then traditional running).

I was also wondering whether or not there was an equivelance with running vs. the elliptical. Like putting in 9 miles on the elliptical would be the same as running like 3 or 4 miles.

Let me know your thoughts,

Matt

2009-08-28 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2377236

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ellipticals and Run Training
Since I was forced to gradually get back into running from foot surgery, I had to either use the elliptical trainer or aquajogging. I would say to the mileage done on the elliptical is 2.5-3x that of running. Depending upon your circumstances, I would do the elliptical on your normal running days and gradually decrease the elliptical time and increase the running time. If your are training for a tri, I would try to spend the majority of your time doing dryland running versus the elliptical.
2009-08-28 10:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
It's not a replacement for running because it's low impact.  The only way to train for the stresses of running is to run.  If you can't run 5x a week yet without injury then the elliptical can help you work up to it.  Just try to gradually phase it out in favor of running more.
2009-08-28 11:45 PM

User image

Fishers, IN
It isn't the same, but I think you in general Aquajogging is considered the most like running and the elliptical is second (at least that is how my runner friends rank them).  You still need to work your way into hitting the roads.  A few years ago when I started out my knees hurt very badly every time I would run (bad arthritis from many years of sedentary lifestyle).  I was so unfit I could not even run on the roads.  I had to start on ellipticals, work my way up to the treadmill, and a few months later on to the roads.  For my first year, due to the arthritis and my bodies adjusting to the pounding, I had to take ibuprofen 45 mins before I ran or the first few miles hurt like anything.  You have to be patient and determined, but you can get there.
2009-08-29 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Dorchester
For joint pain, try Glucosomine.  It comes in many different forms and types.  I have been using Glucosamine Sulfate for about 8 months now.  No problems.  Purchased at Costco under the Kirkland name.
2009-08-29 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2377664

Champion
South Jersey

It is a not a replacement. Deep-water aquajogging is a better replacement/supplement to run training than is elliptical.

2009-08-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2377910

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
I'd avoid the elliptical unless you just want some easy cardio. Like others have pointed out - it's no-impact and your body needs the weight-bearing of running (ie: your feet hitting the ground) to build run strength. Also, the elliptical is a pretty unnatural movement for most bodies ... I know the few times I've hopped on one it's been just weird. It's not a natural movement, unless you're a gliding lizard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ellipticals and Run Training Rss Feed