General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Gabriel River Bike Path Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-28 9:25 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: San Gabriel River Bike Path
Has anyone ridden this route from La Verne, Azusa (or anywhere in the North San Gabriel Valley) to the beach and back? Is this one continuous bike path or does it start and stop on your way to the ocean? When I follow this link it appears to be a series of individual bike paths. I'd like to do my homework before I give this ride a try.

2009-08-28 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2377557

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: San Gabriel River Bike Path

I've done the route once maybe a year ago with another BTer, though not the entire way down to Seal Beach.  I think my regular Sunday ride crew is doing it this weekend.  It's mostly continuous, though there is one point where the trail is discontinuous requiring you to exit the path and reenter on the other side of the river.  Through the edge of El Monte, it's a little sketchy of an area, but you'd probably be fine if you ride with company. 

I'm not sure if I'm going out with my friends this weekend since I've had a sore throat for about a week now .  If I do, I'll post a follow-up with a fresh perspective.

Edit: Okay, I just looked at your link.  If you start down in OC and plan to go up into Azusa, then you will climb up around the Santa Fe dam.  The route is a little tricky around the dam there, but I think there might be a couple somewhat obscure signs when you are looping around the catch basin to keep you on the trail.  Also, it dips under a couple overpasses north of the dam, and these are narrow and blind, so stay alert for people bombing downhill through those.

Edited by SevenZulu 2009-08-28 10:51 PM
2009-08-28 11:12 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
^^^ Thanks, this is great information. I hope you feel better and get a chance to get out and ride. I hope it's not too smokey this weekend.
2009-08-29 12:18 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
What SevenZulu said.  I've done Duarte (Encanto Park) to Seal Beach, then down PCH to Newport Bch and rtn a couple times...that's basically 100 mi.  Getting from Encanto to the dam requires close attention to bike path signs.  Once you get south of the dam (south of Arrow Hwy), it's basically continuous bike path to the beach with just one place you have to exit onto a surface street to cross over the river and re-enter the path.  Only a couple places you can maybe go wrong, but there's signage pretty much the whole way.
2009-08-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2377638

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

SevenZulu - 2009-08-28 8:46 PM

I've done the route once maybe a year ago with another BTer, though not the entire way down to Seal Beach.  I think my regular Sunday ride crew is doing it this weekend.  It's mostly continuous, though there is one point where the trail is discontinuous requiring you to exit the path and reenter on the other side of the river.  Through the edge of El Monte, it's a little sketchy of an area, but you'd probably be fine if you ride with company. 

I'm not sure if I'm going out with my friends this weekend since I've had a sore throat for about a week now .  If I do, I'll post a follow-up with a fresh perspective.

Edit: Okay, I just looked at your link.  If you start down in OC and plan to go up into Azusa, then you will climb up around the Santa Fe dam.  The route is a little tricky around the dam there, but I think there might be a couple somewhat obscure signs when you are looping around the catch basin to keep you on the trail.  Also, it dips under a couple overpasses north of the dam, and these are narrow and blind, so stay alert for people bombing downhill through those.

San Gabriel Blvd is where you transition to the West side of the riverbed. This is Pico Rivera and about 1 mile before Whittier narrows. BTW at the Narrows the bike path has a few intersections too where it's eay to end up on the wrong path

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » San Gabriel River Bike Path Rss Feed