General Discussion Triathlon Talk » carbon frame? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-29 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
Subject: carbon frame?
I want a tri bike, looking to get one soon but don't really have the cash for a carbon frame.  Any thoughts on this? How much am I really giving up by not forking over the cash for the carbon?

2009-08-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2377764

New user
Crystal Lake
Subject: RE: carbon frame?

Take the different types of bikes out for a ride.  Make your decision from that.  Everyone has their own opinion on what is the best.  It's a tough decision when there are so many materials out there to choose from and you haven't had a chance to ride any miles on any of them. 

One big benefit that I have noticed from going from aluminum to carbon was the vibrations from the road are dampened significantly.  I also noticed that the frame was much stiffer than my old aluminum frame.  I don't notice any flex in my carbon frame when jumping on the pedals when going into a sprint. 

If you go with a lower end carbon bike, the frames are usually the same as the higher end, you just get lower end components.  You can be pretty close to the same price as an aluminum if you are going with higher end components.  It comes down to what is important to you.  You can always upgrade components as the frame is a little more difficult!

Good luck on your decision.

2009-08-29 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
wow, that is a good point about upgrading the components. my LBS puts you on a few bikes (4-5) after the fitting so I am looking forward to "getting in the saddle". Thanks
2009-08-29 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I have an 06 S32, it's aluminum (sans the fork) and I don't feel I'm giving up anything riding it.

Would a carbon frame be nice. Yeah, as a matter of fact my CR1 is carbon and I love it. However, I don't feel any faster riding carbon than aluminum.

Unless you are already at IDEAL race weight, performance, etc, I don't think that giving up carbon for aluminum will be noticeable in races.

That said... the mental aspect of riding a carbon rocket is something that shouldn't be ignored. Placebo's work better than most actual medicine you know.
2009-08-29 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
I raced on a road bike (aluminum, very stiff) for 6 seasons before buying a carbon tri bike.  In my experience the carbon makes a huge difference in reducing fatigue at IM-distance races.  I cannot tell any difference at Oly and below.  So... IMO it depends on what types of races you will be doing.
2009-08-29 12:56 PM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy
Recently purchased a Massi carbon bike in a sale with about 300 pounds sterling knocked off, couldny have bought it otherwise my previous bike was a Dawes Giro 400 and IMHO there is no comparison placebo effect maybe but Im glad I made the purchase. 

2009-08-30 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Goes both ways I suppose. You will find those who swear by them and others who say its just a fad or not worth it. I would like to think there is some good middle ground out there. I just bought my '07 Trek Equinox 5 new this spring deeply discounted since it was a couple of years old. I a firm believer in finding good deals and not paying a premium. It has been a good bike, but it is Aluminum and I like my gadgets, so I can see a change over to a carbon bike in my future, ideally over the winter, but if not, then at the end of next season. I did not have my Trek fully fitted, they just did the seat post height and that was all, so I will probably not be going back to the same store for my next purchase. I have been keeping my eye out for a year or two old carbon frame and have considered building up the bike, or waiting for a full bike to cross my path. It would depend on your budget as well. I was saving money up for a set of wheels, but then convinced myself that a bike and proper fitting will do more good than a set of wheels. My big focus this winter is to build up my speed on the bike. I will probably use that as a way to justify my new bike purchase in the spring As said above, watch what component packages come on bikes you are looking at. Dura Ace vs Ultegra can jack up the price of a bike significantly without providing much benefit for the average user.
2009-09-02 8:08 PM

Expert
I have three tri bikes. A full carbon kestrel airfoil, an aluminum specialized s-works transition, and a combination frame alum/carbon BMC TT02. Each bike has its own unique characteristics, but I can't tell any difference due to the frame materials. I've ridden each in 50+ mile rides and never felt that one frame was more comfortable than another. They all have carbon forks, and the transition has a carbon stem and carbon aero bars and this may do something for the ride.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » carbon frame? Rss Feed