General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pushups - BT terminology Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-30 11:15 PM

User image

Master
Subject: pushups - BT terminology
Can someone help me track my pushup progress correctly?

I've challenged my hubby to the 100pushups in 6 weeks... and just did my initial test.

I could not push myself back up on the first "regular" pushup, so I tried the knees pushups.

What dropdowns do I choose in BT's strength training to track this?  I grabbed "Core->pushups(FB)" but I'm guessing (?) FB means full body??  Where do I find knee-pushups in BTs drop down menus?  I'd like to track which kind I complete in the hopes I'l be able to do "regular" at some point...

-Cynthia

2009-08-31 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2379657

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: pushups - BT terminology
movingsouth - 2009-08-30 9:15 PM Can someone help me track my pushup progress correctly?

I've challenged my hubby to the 100pushups in 6 weeks... and just did my initial test.

I could not push myself back up on the first "regular" pushup, so I tried the knees pushups.

What dropdowns do I choose in BT's strength training to track this?  I grabbed "Core->pushups(FB)" but I'm guessing (?) FB means full body??  Where do I find knee-pushups in BTs drop down menus?  I'd like to track which kind I complete in the hopes I'l be able to do "regular" at some point...

-Cynthia

I'm pretty sure FB stands for fit ball or swiss ball pushups. When I can't find the exact exercise I pick the closest thing then just specify the variation in the notes. Push ups assumes you are using full body. Rather than doing knee push ups have you considered doing decline pushups with your hands on a bench? This is one of the variations they allow and a much better option since you will still be strengthening your core and you will build your upper body strength to be able to do regular push ups much quicker than with the knee version. My bf and I started the 100 pushup challenge last year (I never finished). And I so wanted to get the coffee cup.
2009-08-31 2:03 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Hah! I had this exact same question! If you look under Chest --> Pushups, I'd use that and then x2 on noting the difference, or just don't bother. I did for a long time, then quit - *I* knew which ones I'd done, which was all I needed.

Also x2 on declines - I used to do knee ones, and not only did they kill my knees, but I feel I'm getting much closer to a "real" pushup with declines. Plus, the transition is much easier - just keep lowering the decline until you are at the floor, whereas with knees, you gotta just make the switch and suffer or go back and forth.

Good luck with the challenge!
2009-08-31 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2379716

User image

Master
for the declines... use the couch as a starting point?  Not sure where to get various heights!

someone IRL mentioned there are other core strength plans/challenges - any pointers?

-Cynthia
2009-09-01 12:59 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Sure, the couch, or a sturdy chair pushed up against a wall, or your bed frame wrapped with padding (if it sticks out from under the box spring enough), or even stacks of same-sized, sturdy books up against a wall - you know that old encyclopedia in the basement?
2009-09-01 8:34 PM

User image

Master
PA
movingsouth - 2009-08-31 12:15 AM

this does not answer your question.  but fwiw, i'm part of a women's boot camp, and pushups are something we frequently do.  And the only thing that is NOT allowed, is being on your knees.  Our boot camp instructor says it is far more beneficial to hold yourself up in the air in a regular pushup stance on your toes (we call it the pushup hold) until your core gets stronger than you can begin to get full regular pushups.  He would tell you to either do the pushup hold, only go half way down, or raise your hips just a bit (stick your butt up) as you are starting to learn to do pushups, but to never use your knees.  I could only do 1 or 2 regular pushups on my toes when i started.  And within a few months i was able to do 3x30 on a regular basis.

2009-09-02 6:58 PM

User image

Master
OK, I switched to the bench pushups... using the arm of a chair, not sure if I can do lower or not.  I figure I'll adjust height as I get into the program.

I was able to do Day 1 of the program!!  I didn't "retest" for bench pushups, just figured my knee ones were "close enough" for choosing my starting point in the program.

meanwhile DH could not do his set!  I think we'll back him off a week and/or column!

Thanks for the advice.  17 more workouts to go!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pushups - BT terminology Rss Feed