General Discussion Triathlon Talk » goings-on in the A.M. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-26 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Subject: goings-on in the A.M.
Hello fellow triathletes-in-training!
It's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I would share some of my training stuff with the board:
This week, I think I worked hardest on swimming. Today I drug myself out of bed at 5:45 to go to the pool. I swam a full 800 yards without stopping in breast stroke (with the exception of the first 50 meters which I did in free). Then I did 4x50yards in freestyle to make 1000 yards in 30 minutes. Today was my lighter swim (I swam a lot more freestyle on Wednesday), so I didn't make a lot of progress with endurance in freestyle, but I do find that my breathing techniques have gotten better over the last 3 weeks-------WOW, I have been training religiously for THREE WEEKS now! Crazyness!!!

Finally, I wanted to share with the board my issue with running. I think I may have pushed myself a bit too hard when I ran nearly a mile farther than I ever have last Sunday. I definately have pain in my knees when I run, so I took off running for the rest of the week and have just been biking and swimming. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I've heard that it's important to take a long rest sometimes, but I don't want it to be too long.

Yay for Triathletes!!!!!!!!

~Dorian

2004-03-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #14540

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: goings-on in the A.M.
Dorian,
Congrats on the swimming improvements. Well done!

Pain in your knees is definately something to pay attention too.
I would also recommend putting ice on both knees after you run if this happens again.
10 min on-10 min off-10min on, twice a day might help.
Resting or just walking 1/2 the distance on your run days may also help.
Taking Ibuprofen or Aspirin and elevating your legs can help ease the pain as well.
This falls in line with the popular "RICE" method for treating injuries/pain.
Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate.....

Hope you are "up and running" soon.

2004-03-26 9:27 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I believe that there is no significant loss of fitness until about 7 days off from training. There is a chart in either "The Triathletes Training Bible" or "Going Long" that shows the complete breakdown. Being that you are still active, I wouldn't worry too much. It's more important to heal up properly than it is too run, push too hard and you could do some real damage.
2004-03-26 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
As long as you have a pool handy, water running is really good for maintaining strength and fitness without putting stress on your joints. You can do it either in shallow water or with a special vest. I've had trouble with my knees off and on, and it helps to switch activities slightly (like to water running), run on soft surfaces like dirt trails, do weights that strengthen the muscles around your knees, and have your stride, etc. looked at by a doctor. You might have a leg length, foot strike, or other problem that could be fixed with orthotics.
2004-03-26 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

my opinion, especially if your new and still trying to build endurance in three sports is tonot run more than 2-3 times/week....that 5 times could be the source of your knee hurts.  tri training is supposed to allow us to spread the impact over our body better by 'diluting' individual sport efforts.  personally i have bee hitting pr's and doing great with running twice per week...my times r kinda similiar to yours...40min short run, 65 minute long run....knees r great...of course have yet to get biking and swim into gear.

make sure your getting in that 'ez' week once a month.

glad your making progress!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » goings-on in the A.M. Rss Feed