General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anybody doing Title 9? wetsuit or no? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 7:55 AM

Subject: anybody doing Title 9? wetsuit or no?
Hello,
The title 9 tri on Sept 13 will be my first triathlon.  It sounds like the water will be pretty warm - are those of you who are doing it planning to wear a wetsuit?
I have a Quintana Roo sleeveless wetsuit that I've used for years for open water swimming, but I can't decide whether to wear it or not for the race. 
any advice?
Thanks,

2009-08-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2379877

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: anybody doing Title 9? wetsuit or no?
Wear it! Wetsuits+free speed. Swimming in Hopkinton is variable. It is warm now but you can feel the cold water beneath you. A few cool nites and the temps will drop considerably. I have done this race. I will be volunteering this year. Good luck
2009-09-05 6:35 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I'll be there without a wetsuit, so if you end up not wearing one you won't be alone! My mom swam at Hopkington this week and called the water "refreshing" (which is her word for "chilly but not unbearable"). My best advice for "refreshing" swims is to warm up until you can swim and breathe comfortably. I find that the water takes my breath away at first, partly due to cold and partly due to fear of open water. Warm ups help!
2009-09-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2379889

Thanks for the advice, I have been struggling with the decision as to whether to wear a wetsuit or not.  Part of me believes like you that the wetsuit provides an advantage in the water however, I wonder if the time advantage is then negated by the hassle of taking off the wetsuit?  As someone who has done the triathlon here before, could you let me know what the run course is like?  I am not too concerned about the swim or bike but I am carrying an achilles injury after the Cohasset Tri and am pretty apprehensive about running.  Is it flat/hilly/moderate/challenging???  Any feedback would be really appreciated.  Thanks. 
2009-09-05 7:37 PM

Uxbridge
This run course has some hills and you have to run through the sandy beeach prior to the finish line. Not a real easy run IMO
2009-09-05 9:29 PM

I'm still on the fence.  It's such a short swim that it seems like the advantage might not balance out the transition cost of taking it off.   On the other hand it's supposed to be rainy next weekend which could me chillier temps.  When my toes get chilled its awfully hard to get them warmed up again...
I was thinking of bringing a thermos of hot water to rinse my feet off with at T1.

2009-09-06 7:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anybody doing Title 9? wetsuit or no? Rss Feed