General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flats at IM Louisville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Flats at IM Louisville
Did anyone else notice all the flat tires at IM Lou?  I saw many athletes pulled over with flats on the same stretch of road on Hwy 42 (I think).  At the expo and rolldown today there was a rumor going around that someone had thrown tacks in the road.  I also saw an oragne spray painted 'Ironman' with a circle and slash through it.  Sounds like the rural locals don't want us out there.  One of my buddies had 2 flats in this race.  He ended up finishing 12th in his AG.  He was in contention for a Kona slot had it not been for two flats (that were probably caused by tacks). 

Edited by zia_cyclist 2009-08-31 4:58 PM

2009-08-31 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2381251

User image

Subject: RE: Flats at IM Louisville
I couldn't believe how many flats were out there!  One of my buddies flatted and he did pull a tack from his tire.
2009-08-31 5:27 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
I also saw lots of folks with flats out on 42.  And I saw few flats anywhere else on the course.  It does make me wonder what was going on out there.  At the same time, I was watching the road while riding and didn't see anything. 

Is there any history of this kind of thing happening on other IM courses?
2009-08-31 5:35 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

At the finish line they said someone had spread tacks on the road.  But even worse I had a kid throw a stick at me.  Luckily I was going about 22-23 mph at the time.  I turned around and gave a big WTH.

I saw 6-7 people per lap with flats.

2009-08-31 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY

That makes me absolutely ill if it is true.  I heard a rumor about that too, but it wasn't in any of the papers or on any of the news coverage.  I really hope its just a rumor.....and gettting sticks thrown at you by kids?   Where were their parents?  Probably sitting on the couch eating some ice cream and potato chips.  How stupid.

2009-08-31 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

2009-08-31 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2381408

User image

Pro
Burbs
zia_cyclist - 2009-08-31 7:57 PM Here's an article about the flats issue:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009908310329

from that article:

Lt. Col. Billy Way with the Oldham County Police Department said some children were throwing sticks at bicyclists near Countryside subdivision on U.S. 42, and later some bicyclists ran over tacks that had been thrown in the road and had to deal with flat tires.

Makes me sick. Don't like IMs? don't do one. it brings a lot of money to your city (right?)
2009-08-31 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Don't know how I missed that article, but that is awful.  I would say 99.9% of the people here are thrilled with IM being here. The volunteer support, and spectator support are awesome.  Its that small fraction of a percent that unfortunately draws negative attention.  I'm sure its the same negative, vocal, unathletic group of people that hate all cyclists, and think they shouldn't be allowed on the road.  I hate that it happened at such a big event for our city, but the haters aren't exclusive to Louisville.  That just really sucks.
2009-08-31 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
Man did I get lucky then. I must have missed the tacs. That really sucks though. It was a great race and the support was amazing from almost all of the people. I loved it.
2009-08-31 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
I'm pretty sure I hit a tack or nail with my brand new tubular tire. I flated right next to another guy who hit a nail. I didn't see anything on the road...
2009-08-31 9:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
That's horrible. Absolutely horrible. Makes me sad to hear this.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people in the city probably don't care for it being there. I can say that last year when I was running through neighborhoods... NO ONE was on the porch cheering racers on. No signs. No music. No people. It was weird.

2009-08-31 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

My sister and her boyfriend were also ok too as far as flats, but that was a big topic of their conversation with their friends this morning at the lunch.

Also, don't know if anyone else saw this, and I hate to tell you this since it kind of made me sad, but Jen said she saw an IM logo with a line through it while out on the bike somewhere...

Even though we would like to think most are happy the race is there, there are still LOTS that are not.  There were a handful of other incidences that were similar that we experienced throughout the weekend, but I just want to forget about it.

2009-08-31 11:01 PM
in reply to: #2381629

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
KSH - 2009-08-31 9:20 PM That's horrible. Absolutely horrible. Makes me sad to hear this. Unfortunately, a lot of the people in the city probably don't care for it being there. I can say that last year when I was running through neighborhoods... NO ONE was on the porch cheering racers on. No signs. No music. No people. It was weird.

I have to respectfully disagree.  What is that saying?  One bad apple....(or in this case a couple).   Just because a couple of morons decide to spoil the fun doesn't reflect on an entire city.  They had to fill 3,000 volunteer spots, and every single one of them got filled. I met other volunteers of every size, shape, age, and background. They weren't all into tri's or knew someone participating, they were just excited to help and be a part of it. When I left late, late,  last night, 4th street live was still packed, and loud for the very last people coming in.....on a Sunday night, when most everyone had to be at work the next morning.  As far as the neighborhoods being empty, I will have to say this is only the third year of IM being here, and maybe its just still new and not advertised well enough.  We have a half and full marathon the weekend before the Derby that goes through some of those neighborhoods, and the crowd support is unbelievable.  It sells out every year......at 10,000 people.  Sorry to ramble on, I just hope that the actions of one or two people doesn't reflect on the rest of us.  I spent the better part of 12 hrs out there between volunteering and watching, and I heard nothing but great things from all the athletes I came in contact with.    I hope to race this myself in a couple of years.

Edited by M-shell 2009-08-31 11:28 PM
2009-09-01 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I drove down to watch, and was highly impressed by almost everyone I saw spectating.  I watched the swim start, then some of the T1 onto the bike, then we drove out to watch the bike in action.  I was at a turn onto 42, the volunteers that were there were amazing! They had to really keep the traffic under control, and nearly every car that would stop would ask what was going on. When they were told what was going on, 99% of the people were very supportive. I saw several go ahead and pull over and join us to watch.  I was at that turn for over 2 hours, even had people coming out of church walking over to watch. It was great. Out of the 2+ hours I was there, I only saw one person cause a problem.  I definately think overall the crowd support was amazing. One or two bad apples can definately have ill effects, but I was so impressed I wanted so badly to be out there.  So from my viewpoint I thought it was really well recieved. 
2009-09-01 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Except for the tacks issue, I think this race was fantastic.  I loved the course, all of it.  The bike course was so much fun with the rollers and La Grange.  IM Lou is, so far, my favorite IM.  It was so organized.  The volunteers took great care of us racers.  Just awesome.
2009-09-01 7:40 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I saw the big orange Ironman with a slash too, but didn't know about the tacks.  I also passed someone (on the bike) who was shouting some sort of anti-IM stuff.

BUT I do have to say that the vast vast majority of the locals that I saw and met (before, during, and after the race) were extremely friendly and encouraging.  Even on the run, out in the boonies, there were people on the side of the road.  And several of them were saying "welcome to Louisville, we're glad to have you here", etc... 

Oh and yes, the volunteers were absolutely incredible.

Now, if they could get that swim start sorted out...

2009-09-01 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

The whole tacks issue is really unfortunate, but unfortunately it isn't unique to IMLOU. At IM MOO there is a farmer that drives his combine right down the middle of the road every year to protest them closing the road for the race. There have been a few tack incidences there as well. My parents live out in Oldham County on the bike course and there have been several incidents through out the year between motorists and cyclists training for the event. It boils down to the bad apples on BOTH sides making it a tough situation for everyone.

Oldham County still is rural enough that there is the "redneck" element out there that exsists in any rural (mostly southern) area. You are never going to change these peoples minds about cyclists and the OC Police for the most part does a good job of keeping them away from the race course on race day. Where the large portion of the resentment comes from (and this is just from talking to my parents and neighbors) are from the people that encounter the cyclists with bad manners and then lump us all together. My Dad was telling me about a Friday afternoon earlier this year where he was driving into LaGrange on 146 and got behind a line of cars that was being held up by a group of cyclists. This particular group consisted of 8-10 riders and had a car following along (like a team car in the Tour) behind. 146 is a main artery for that area and on Friday afternoon has more than enough traffic to begin with, these particular athletes used poor judgement by choosing to train at that time of day on that road.

The bottom line is that as a whole the citizens of LaGrange and OC welcome the Ironman athletes and their families and are genuinely excited to have a world class event in their community. That being said there is (and will always be) a vocal minority that is unreasonable and doesn't like to be inconvienienced by some freak on bike wearing spandex. We can do our part though as athletes to use good judgement and courtesy when we are out training on the course. Follow the rules of the road, train at appropriate times (i.e. not on Friday afternoon), don't litter, etc. We can also police ourselves by calling out fellow athletes that are not doing the right thing out there.

2009-09-01 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY

Well said Rocket Man.  I think every year the field of athletes has gotten larger in Louisville, and I've heard several people say this is their favorite.  Last year, if there was any lack of crowd support in the neighborhoods on the run, it could have very well been due to poor planning on IM or Louisville.  2008 race was on labor day weekend, and on the very same day as the UL/UK football game, which is a HUGE college football rivalry game here. 

2009-09-01 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2382034

User image

Champion
Alabama

Rocket Man - 2009-09-01 7:49 AM

The whole tacks issue is really unfortunate, but unfortunately it isn't unique to IMLOU. At IM MOO there is a farmer that drives his combine right down the middle of the road every year to protest them closing the road for the race. There have been a few tack incidences there as well. My parents live out in Oldham County on the bike course and there have been several incidents through out the year between motorists and cyclists training for the event. It boils down to the bad apples on BOTH sides making it a tough situation for everyone.

Oldham County still is rural enough that there is the "redneck" element out there that exsists in any rural (mostly southern) area. You are never going to change these peoples minds about cyclists and the OC Police for the most part does a good job of keeping them away from the race course on race day. Where the large portion of the resentment comes from (and this is just from talking to my parents and neighbors) are from the people that encounter the cyclists with bad manners and then lump us all together. My Dad was telling me about a Friday afternoon earlier this year where he was driving into LaGrange on 146 and got behind a line of cars that was being held up by a group of cyclists. This particular group consisted of 8-10 riders and had a car following along (like a team car in the Tour) behind. 146 is a main artery for that area and on Friday afternoon has more than enough traffic to begin with, these particular athletes used poor judgement by choosing to train at that time of day on that road.

The bottom line is that as a whole the citizens of LaGrange and OC welcome the Ironman athletes and their families and are genuinely excited to have a world class event in their community. That being said there is (and will always be) a vocal minority that is unreasonable and doesn't like to be inconvienienced by some freak on bike wearing spandex. We can do our part though as athletes to use good judgement and courtesy when we are out training on the course. Follow the rules of the road, train at appropriate times (i.e. not on Friday afternoon), don't litter, etc. We can also police ourselves by calling out fellow athletes that are not doing the right thing out there.

Very well said!

~Mike

2009-09-01 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
This is a very unfortunate incident.  And I may be wrong, but I think it doesn't necessarily reflect Louisville but everywhere in our country as rocketman indicates.

Sorry to ramble on, I just hope that the actions of one or two people doesn't reflect on the rest of us.  I spent the better part of 12 hrs out there between volunteering and watching, and I heard nothing but great things from all the athletes I came in contact with.

Kudos to you for volunteering! You definitely did your part to welcome the participants and their families to your city, and you should be commended for that!
2009-09-01 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
unfortunately the tack issue is not an isolated incident. The same has also happend a few times at Ironman Canada and last year at the first Muskoka 70.3 in Ontario. Sad, but it only takes a few to ruin it for so many.

FishHog

2009-09-01 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Person in our club flated both wheels at the sametime due to tacks. She is a total bad a$$ and is doing IMWIS in a couple weeks, she shrugged it off.
2009-09-01 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

I saw a lot of flats out there too but wasn't sure why (but I guess the tacks explain that) and I saw the Ironman with a slash trough it on the course. .I just smiled at that.  The tacks are pretty bad and that makes me mad. . It is one thing to not like something, and if that is the case, then taking 1 day off from driving on that road or being in that area would seem to solve the problem. 
My impressions of the race and support are as follows: 
1)  VOLUNTEERS WERE/ARE AWESOME!!!
2)  The town(s) seemed to really embrace the athletes being there.
3)  Having the swim start .75 miles away from the swim finish is annoying.  I still think it should be a mass start.  I hated swimming through 1000 plus people in the narrow stretch of water.  True, I could have gotten up earlier than I did and camped out at 4AM, but that shouldn't have to be a decision in the first place.
4)  4th street live was cool, but still a long walk down to get massage/food/etc and then to get gear and bike. 
5)  Did NOT like the swim start, swim finish, transition, expo, run finish being so far apart from each other.  Not sure how other ones are, but CDA has everything right there.  Very easy logistics wise. 

With all of that being said, it was a good time and well put on.  I think WTC should look long and hard at this race.  Being in a big city is cool on one hand, but logistically it was tough for friends/family and at least me. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Flats at IM Louisville Rss Feed