General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim, and run transition questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-31 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: swim, and run transition questions
I'm new to this whole Tri thing, I'm still learning to swim 'right' (basically started swimming in June, read TI and am currently taking a class at a local JC).  I've put a lot of pool time in (relatively speaking, anyway) and have moments of feeling great, but have one major concern.  It consistently takes me about 3-400 yards before I start feeling smooth and fast.  Up until that, it's a bit of a struggle and I feel all choppy.  My first Triathlon (a super sprint tri-a-tri kind of deal) is in 2 weeks, and the swim is only 400yd!  I'm thinking the swim will end just as I'm getting warmed up...  Is this common, or will it get easier to go fast/smooth quickly with more training?

Second question, I figure I ought to get some transition exercises in.  The bike/run is no problem, but I am wondering how quickly after the swim a bike ride needs to me?  I usually ride to the pool, but after swimming I shower/change and it's about 15 minutes from swimming to heading out on the bike.  Does this count?  Do I need to do a few straight from pool to bike?

2009-08-31 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2381428

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: swim, and run transition questions
Try to get in a warm up swim right before the race.  Also, I like to get in a 20 minute or so run to get my heart rate going and the sweat pumping.

Don't worry about riding right after swimming during training.

But you might practice a transition or two beforehand.  Basically practicing getting on your bike gear quickly and repeat for T2.
2009-08-31 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I actually did this yesterday for the first time--I rode to the gym, swam, then rode home. Even though it took me a while to change, then unlock my bike and stuff my legs still really felt it as I started my ride home. It was very similar to how my legs felt from the swim to bike in my tri a few weeks ago. I haven't figured out a way to jump out of the pool and onto my bike since the pool is indoors. Not perfect, but I still think it is helpful. I actually find the swim to bike transition tougher than the bike to run during a tri. I feel a little off kilter running straight from the water and jumping on my bike, yet the bike to run brick is the one we usually see emphasized.
2009-08-31 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
You're not the only one that doesn't feel warmed up for 3-400yds, I'm the same way.  Depending on the day, how I feel, or what's going on in my personal life, sometimes it's closer to 800 even.  It just takes me that long to get my mind "into the swim" sometimes... I guess it's just a focus thing and it takes some time to clear my head.  You might be the same way.  During actual races though I get into the rhythm real quick though, which could be because I'm already pretty focused on racing well before ever getting in the water.  You may find the same thing, so don't worry.

As for the swim/bike, don't worry too much about it.  I find the hardest thing is simply getting up out of the water and finding my balance.  By the time I run (more like stumble) to T1 and get on the bike I'm fine.  (I don't lolly gag around too much in T1, I'm about MOP)  Whether it's 2 1/2 minutes during a race or 15 minutes during training, my legs don't feel much different when I first get on the bike.  It's really just that first 30 seconds as you get out of the water that really throws you for a loop the when you do race.
2009-09-01 7:08 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Needing a warmup before the swim is common, just get in and swim, the shorter distances tend to be faster so warm up as needed. Try to practice the same way you plan to race, its all about moving smooth and organized. If you are in a very small space removing a wetsuit and putting on bike shoes while dripping and out of breath, thats how you should practice!
2009-09-01 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
I generally take about 800 yards to warm up... I wouldn't worry about 400. And remember, the shorter the race is, the longer your warmup should be.

As for transitions, I think you might be confusing brick workouts with transition practice. Bricks are when you do one activity followed by another (swim/bike, bike/run.)  You generally want to move as quickly and smoothly as possible from one to the other (15 minutes would defeat the purpose, IMHO.) The purpose is to get a feel for how it is to ride (or run) right after a hard effort of the previous type. (Did that even make sense?)

Transition practice is practicing the actual motions of T1 or T2 (strip off wetsuit, put on sunglasses, helmet, shoes, grab bike, or take off bike shoes, put on run shoes, take off helmet, grab run hat and race belt.) While you can practice transitions during your bricks (and you should) you can also just set aside some time to practice transitions by themselves, over and over again, until you can do it in your sleep without forgetting something and without wasted motion/time. 

2009-09-01 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
yeah, I cunfused my terms there.  I meant brick training.  I've done transition practice in the backyard.  my 7yo daughter is doing a kids tri that weekend too, so we've been doing mini-tri's in the backyard after school.  5 loops around the 16' above ground pool, followed by a transition, then 5 laps on the bike around the backyard (about a 20 yard loop...), then transition to running and run a few more laps.  Fun stuff, she beats me every time cause she only has to put on one pair of shoes!  her bike-run transition is lightning quick.  Although I give about 50/50 odds that she'll end up doing the run with a bike helmet on. Laughing

thanks all for the advice, I'll do my best to get in a pre race swim.  I'll be there a day early, and plan to swim quite a bit the day before.  I'm hoping that will keep it fresh in my body's memory.
2009-09-01 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
See if you can do a few training sessions where you just swim hard right from the start. At some races it's not always possible to do a swim warmup.
2009-09-01 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
norcal_SAHD - 2009-08-31 5:07 PM I'm new to this whole Tri thing, I'm still learning to swim 'right' (basically started swimming in June, read TI and am currently taking a class at a local JC).  I've put a lot of pool time in (relatively speaking, anyway) and have moments of feeling great, but have one major concern.  It consistently takes me about 3-400 yards before I start feeling smooth and fast.  Up until that, it's a bit of a struggle and I feel all choppy.  My first Triathlon (a super sprint tri-a-tri kind of deal) is in 2 weeks, and the swim is only 400yd!  I'm thinking the swim will end just as I'm getting warmed up...  Is this common, or will it get easier to go fast/smooth quickly with more training?

Second question, I figure I ought to get some transition exercises in.  The bike/run is no problem, but I am wondering how quickly after the swim a bike ride needs to me?  I usually ride to the pool, but after swimming I shower/change and it's about 15 minutes from swimming to heading out on the bike.  Does this count?  Do I need to do a few straight from pool to bike?

Point #2 - Yes, you should do a few transitions from swim to bike. It can be a different experience than giving it 10-15 minutes.

Point #1 - Warm up first. Get in a couple 100's before you start your swim.

Although, I do have to say your post reminds me of a movie, "The Cutting Edge"
"It goes away. I always throw up before a game, 10 minutes later I'm fine."
"Our routine is 3 minutes long!!"
"So....7 minutes after we're done I'll be fine."

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim, and run transition questions Rss Feed