General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly knee injury reassurance thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-17 10:07 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: weekly knee injury reassurance thread
Pulled...something in my left leg on my long run Sunday. Manifested by very sharp pain (almost nerve-pain sharp) in my knee to the inside at the end of the run...but as things have calmed down I think it's just some inflamed tendons and maybe an overworked hamstring. Nothing is swollen or acutely painful, so rest will cure it I think. I suspect the cause was tight hamstrings and tendons exacerbated by dead shoes and possibly by realigning my bike cleats to point forwards (I've been riding pigeon-toed for months...should never put your own cleats on if you don't know what you're doing). Replaced the running shoes yesterday.

I took a total rest day yesterday, and I'm redoing my schedule so there's no running till the weekend to give the pulled/inflamed things time to heal. Here's the question -- I know I can swim...can I ride the bike without annoying whatever it is I've done to myself? SHOULD I try to ride the bike and see if it hurts, or should I give it some time and just try to relax?

Thanks, all.

2005-05-17 10:17 AM
in reply to: #158956

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: weekly knee injury reassurance thread
As I've mentioned in earlier threads I'm not a doctor, but I am a big fan of resting injured/sore muscles. I think it best in these situations to always get a professional opinion or possibly two opinions from the experts who know. Perhaps they can run some tests and hopefully nothing is seriously damaged. Maybe a good massage would do the trick. But in the meantime I would not do anything that could further inflame or injure the muscle. Maybe you just need some heat/ice treatments. I think you'll feel better hearing from a doctor that all you need is rest or some type of simple home treatment.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weekly knee injury reassurance thread Rss Feed