General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Training Feedback

I am following Don Fink’s Competitive Plan (which seems similar in hours to the Silver BT IM Plan).  So far everything is going great and while the plan pushes me, I have been able to keep up the other aspects of my life despite the higher hours (fwiw, 17 hours this week).  My primary goal for my IM is to finish strong. It is my first IM and I absolutely want to finish.  My secondary goal is to break 13 hours and I think that I have the fitness and have done (or will have done) the training to do so come race day. 

What I have noticed lately though is when I talk to other triathletes, I get split feedback on my training plan.  Some say, “great work, keep it up” while others say, “ease up, you don’t want to burn out, get injured, etc.”  I want to trust my plan and trust my body to handle the plan.  Knock on wood, so far, my body is adapting ok.  These warnings worry me though and honestly, I have read about a lot of peak training injuries lately that probably have me spooked.  I know that in order to finish my IM I have to get to the starting line.

Why do I listen to the above people?  Because they have been there done that and I respect them ...

I think I just need a pep talk that following my plan in the right thing to do.  I have preached about following the plan early in the cycle when the hours seem low, so I should just take my own advice, but a pep talk may still be in order.  Thanks!

2009-09-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2382812

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Training Feedback
Follow the plan!

I know nothing about the plan that you mention, but my view is that you trust it, or not.  If not, find something that you do trust.  If you have decided to trust the plan, then go with that.  There are probably many ways to get to the starting line (and more important, the finish line), and perhaps people have a tendency to see ways different from their own as 'dangerous' or somehow problematic, and they are, with the best of intentions, 'warning' you.  (Obviously, if your BODY starts sending you warnings, well, that's a different story...)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Feedback Rss Feed