General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Belle Isle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Subject: Belle Isle
I just was given a work assignment about a 1/2 mile from the Belle Isle bridge.  Nice, huh?

I am considering running 2-3 day a week there on my lunch hour.  I am wondering if they salt the roads in the winter.  It would be nice to run outside and avoid the treadmill all winter!

Mainly, I am wondering if it is safe for me to run around there by myself...

Also, if anyone happens to run there during the day and wants company, let me know! I have a flexible job and can take a good hour (sometimes more) for lunch.

2009-09-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2382823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: RE: Belle Isle
I'm never there during lunch, mostly early morning and afterwork. Safe and you'll see many other runners/bikers. I can't remember if its salted...
2009-09-03 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
I work downtown detroit.  not able to get there during lunch time but we can have a small gathering run afterwork.
2009-09-13 10:47 PM

User image

Detroit, MI
I live downtown and run/bike at Belle Isle all the time.  It's safe and there's always a lot of people there.  I don't know about the salt in the Winter but I would think they would because it gets a lot of use.

I wrote a review on biking and running on Belle Isle.
2009-09-14 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Thanks for all of you who posted.  I have been running there at lunch a couple days a week and it seems safe.  My husband worried about me doing it alone.  It helps to get one of my training session done mid day...then I can do something different before work or later.  So far the most dangerous thing (or yuckiest) is the goose poop!!!

I am hoping to be able to do it all year long.  Usually it is sooooo dark and cold before and after work in the winter.  Belle Isle might just be a little windy!   I may bring my bike and get some cycling done at lunch on non-running days! 

I am participating in "Run at Work" day on Sept 18th there.  I asked some coworkers to run or walk at lunch that day and bring a picnic lunch.  I may be the only one who shows up! LOL! I told them if they don't come I am making them wear a post it note all day with the word "SLACKER" on it...

K_Hase - what time you meeting in the morning??  I am supposed to start work at 7:30am.  Stress on supposed to...like I said, my hours are flexible!

Jared - I will check out your review of Belle Isle!

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2009-09-14 4:51 PM
2009-09-15 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
My off season starts on sunday! Combined with the dark and cold early mornings I won't be out there in the AM again until next spring. Are you ever around on weekends? I'll do some runs out there over the winter.

2009-09-15 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
K_Hase - Thanks for the offer.... But I live in St. Clair county so I usually run up here on the weekends. 

Today at lunch, I did three loops of Belle Isle during my lunch hour (17 miles).  It was nice.  I just had two freaky guys pull up in different cars along side my bike and tell me that I was doing a great job! Yikes!

Still, I am planning on running two days and cycling two days each week.  I swim before work and can hit the weights afterward (crazy, huh?). 

I am hoping to be able to run outside all winter long!

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2009-09-15 5:26 PM
2009-09-15 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
What about running on the river in front of the Ren Cen from The Joe to where it connects to the new bike path that runs almost to Eastern Market?  I'd have to bet that would be salted all winter.  You may have to do some repeats, but it'll be salted and safe.  As for Belle Isle, I've run the Downtown Runner's Belle Isle New Years Eve race the last 2-years.  The roads have been mostly clear for this (although last year was FREEZING and there were patches of ice).  I'd bet that wasn't just for the race and they do keep Belle Isle at least realtively clear all winter.  IF you have to go indoors, have you been in the YMCA across from the library?  It is AWESOME.  Finally, if you need a safety bailout plan while you are on the island, there is always security at the gate at the Yacht Club from what I recall.  There has also been someone in the trailer/pro shop of the golf course (its my potty stop if the public ones are locked) when I have stopped in a few times this summer during weekend rides.  You made want to ride by these on your next trip around the island.
2009-09-15 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Aero - I have heard that the YMCA is nice but that parking is tough.  I belong to Pointe Fitness in Harper Woods.  I can go there on my way home or into work and use their treadmills.  I may try the downtown run.  I basically can see the Belle Isle bridge from my current work location but have been driving over there to be extra cautious.  Thanks for the safety tips. 

I do love this lunch hour workout!!

As far as ice, I could handle running at Stony Creek in the winter.  The wind blew pretty fierce there.  And the path is not really clear. 
2009-09-17 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Yeah, the comments from cars and motorcycles are regular, but nothing to worry about. I've only had one creepy moment, and that was just last week when I was out early in the morning. I strange looking old guy who looked like he used shoe polish for hair dye, pulled up next to me in his car (I was on a recovery ride, going about 17) and just sort of stared at me and then said, in a creepy tone "I really like your bike" I hit the brakes. He kept going and that was that.

The younger guys out crusing on motorcycles and cars are generally harmless, they tend only to be out there in the evenings when there are lots of people. I've guys on motorcycles pace me and then note their surprise when a bicycle can go 26 or 27 mph (with a nice tail wind!!). There is a police station, the Yacht Club, the Coast Guard, the zoo and the museum if you need help.

The only time I try to avoid riding there is weeknights in the summer, around 6-8PM. Its very crowded with cars crusing around and pedestrians talking to people in the cars. While you can ride, you have to pay alot of attention to the vehicles and people because they just aren't looking for you. I've never had a problem or an accident on the Island, but its just not as enjoyable then.

I ride there from Grosse Pointe, and run there too for long runs. I've done it alone, I've done it in with people, I've never had any problem.
2009-09-17 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
Thanks for confirming my situation and feelings about it.  Later I thought the one guy MAY HAVE been pacing me.  He seemed to be trying to encourage me (I don't think I look like I need encouragement).  The other was just a little too friendly, creepy...

Coworkers of mine told me that Belle Isle gets crazy when it is hot or late at night, like you said.  I have been getting there around 11am on just weekdays except Wednesday.  Today I felt very safe.  I probably could leave right from work but have been driving over there. 

I am grateful that Belle Isle is there and available to use.  It is actually quite beautiful.  My family worried about me when I started working in Detroit.  And now they think I am even crazier for running and biking down there but I feel fine.

Thanks for the positive responses!

2009-09-24 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
I love Belle Isle!!! I just had to say that!  It is so great to get out of work and bike for an hour!  

I will be sad when the weather gets bad...
2009-09-24 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2408247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
AeroBaldness - 2009-09-15 6:42 PM What about running on the river in front of the Ren Cen from The Joe to where it connects to the new bike path that runs almost to Eastern Market?  I'd have to bet that would be salted all winter.  You may have to do some repeats, but it'll be salted and safe.  As for Belle Isle, I've run the Downtown Runner's Belle Isle New Years Eve race the last 2-years.  The roads have been mostly clear for this (although last year was FREEZING and there were patches of ice).  I'd bet that wasn't just for the race and they do keep Belle Isle at least realtively clear all winter.  IF you have to go indoors, have you been in the YMCA across from the library?  It is AWESOME.  Finally, if you need a safety bailout plan while you are on the island, there is always security at the gate at the Yacht Club from what I recall.  There has also been someone in the trailer/pro shop of the golf course (its my potty stop if the public ones are locked) when I have stopped in a few times this summer during weekend rides.  You made want to ride by these on your next trip around the island.

The problem with river front is that its ALL concrete, stone and brick.  It really hurt my joints when running frequently there.  Altnough I work right at riverfront, I only run there only once in a blue moon because of the surface.

My freaky experience was trying to OWS there afterwork.  I didn't know what the folks were doing there.  But everyone was sitting in the car with their window/door open.  When you drive by they look at you like some kind of food.  I parked at the beach parking lot and there were 5 - 6 people staring at me.  When I get out of the car, I smell someone smoking something funny.....  Looking at the beach, I don't feel comfortable going to the water and leave my belonging on the beach.  So I hop back onto the car and turn back. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Belle Isle Rss Feed