General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ARRGGH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 2:22 PM

Florida
Subject: ARRGGH!
Disclaimer Warning: Extreme B*tching!

I slept in the first time this morning (on purpose) because I was going to do an afternoon workout with my wife.  She wants to do a 5K and I am trying to motivate her into running.  I took a shower got ready for work and went to put my water bottle in my gym bag that I had put in my truck the night before.  I opened the garage to walk out to my truck to find my driver side window laying on the lawn!  Some low-life, piece of sh*t, a$$hole smashed my window pulled it out by the tint that was holding the glass together and stole my GYM BAG!  Nothing else!  Not my sunglasses sitting on the driver seat, not my wallet in the driver car door, not even the change out of my change drawer!  My GYM BAG, with my ipod, new running shoes w/ new insoles and laces, new goggles and swim cap, and new ironman lap watch!  I am getting a new window in my truck as we speak, but I also have to get my tint redone because they won't match the old windows.  I am pissed beyond believe, but the worst thing is I can't go to the gym to work the anger out because I have NO GYM SHOES!  ARRRRGHHH!  Sorry for the rant, please go back to your regularly scheduled program.

2009-09-01 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2383172

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: ARRGGH!

I came in here because after reading the title I thought it had something to do with pirates.

Well, since I'm here... you don't mention calling the police.  Did you file a report?

As for having no shoes.... did you read the thread about running barefoot?

Seriously though, I can't imgaine having to replace all of those things and not being able to work out until you do.  I've had my house broken into, so I know how it feels to be violated in such a way.  And that fact that some punk without a job would take things that you worked an honest job for ...... Grrrrrrr!

2009-09-01 3:16 PM

User image

That totally sucks!

I almost never leave anything of real value in my vehicle unless it is locked down or hidden out of sight. When I do have my bike in my truck (like right now) it is locked to the seat frame with a steel cable and lock.

Also, some Homeowner's Insurance will cover items stolen from your vehicle. If you have a policy, check it out.

Cool

edit: P.S. x2 on filing the police report. Gotta have it on file.

Edited by GregInAustin 2009-09-01 3:17 PM
2009-09-01 7:55 PM

User image

Panama City Beach
Know what you mean.  I have had stuff stolen out of my car on a couple of occasions.  However, I don't complain much about it, because I see it as the price I chose to pay for the convenience of keeping my junk in my car. 

My dad would rather spend and hour a day keeping from losing anything.  I would rather have the convince and loosing it  about twice in my life. 
2009-09-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2383843

User image

Master
Beijing
RichMan - 2009-08-31 8:55 PM Know what you mean.  I have had stuff stolen out of my car on a couple of occasions.  However, I don't complain much about it, because I see it as the price I chose to pay for the convenience of keeping my junk in my car. 

My dad would rather spend and hour a day keeping from losing anything.  I would rather have the convince and loosing it  about twice in my life. 

Word.  My wife is a "locker"   I don't lock anything.... because I'd rather have a missing gym bag than a missing gym bag AND a broken window.

My grandparents don't have a lock on their house, and haven't for going on 40 years.

My parents lock their front door (but not the back) at night, and when they're on vacation.

If I lived in a big city I'm sure things might be different. 
2009-09-02 9:34 AM

User image

Its definitely a City vs. Country thing. In Austin, you normally can't leave a bike unattended and unlocked for 15 seconds, especially around downtown/UT. What gets me are the folks that complain that their $2000 bike was stolen because they didn't use a $20 U-Lock on it.

My aunt used to live in the country, and she used to leave her car keys IN THE IGNITION. Seemed like a safe thing to do for years, until some drunk hillbilly stole her car and totaled it.

I'm sorry, but if you value something, don't leave it in your car. I lock all my doors, the truck, the bike shed, the house - even when I'm home.

I'm not paranoid... They really ARE out to get me!

Cool

2009-09-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2384661

User image

Champion
PA
GregInAustin - 2009-09-02 10:34 AM Its definitely a City vs. Country thing. In Austin, you normally can't leave a bike unattended and unlocked for 15 seconds, especially around downtown/UT. What gets me are the folks that complain that their $2000 bike was stolen because they didn't use a $20 U-Lock on it.

My aunt used to live in the country, and she used to leave her car keys IN THE IGNITION. Seemed like a safe thing to do for years, until some drunk hillbilly stole her car and totaled it.

I'm sorry, but if you value something, don't leave it in your car. I lock all my doors, the truck, the bike shed, the house - even when I'm home.

I'm not paranoid... They really ARE out to get me!

Cool

I agree.. I used to live on William Cannon.  I did a bike ride and put my bike on our apartment patio (inside a railing) and went in to watch TV.  As I was sitting on a sofa, right next to the sliding doors that go to the patio, someone stole my bike.  No idea how they did that one. 

Someone also stole my Honda Accord. 

When someone broke into the apartment above us we moved and I informed the complex that I was breaking my lease and not paying it out.
2009-09-02 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
I'd like to get ahold of the scumbags who do s@$! like that and sqeeze their head for a while. here's a true story that happened to me a few months ago.

I was doing an open water swim at the beach a few minutes from my house. this was during the middle of the week so the parking lot was mostly empty and there wasn't really anyone around. my car key is a remote and key in one so I can't take it in the water with me, instead I tuck it in behind the front wheel and jump in to swim. after about 35 minutes in the water I get out right where I had parked and the spot where my car used to be is now empty. there were a few other triathletes around and I asked them if they had seen anything but no one had. I started jogging down the beach where there are sometimes cars parked close to the water and saw a car that looked like mine about 1/4 mile down. as I got closer I realized it was definitely mine. once I got there I went through it and found nothing missing!! not my satellite radio, GPS, cell phone, gym bag, sunglasses...nothing except the keys were missing. so this lowlife had jumped in my car, drove it down the beach, backed it into a nice spot right on the water then just left it there without taking anything!! totally strange but it could have turned out MUCH worse. now I put my key in 2 zip lock bags and then tuck it into my swim cap, where it rides out the swim on top of my head.
2009-09-02 9:58 AM

Florida
I didn't report it to the police till I got home from work last night.  I went over everything with the officer and told him the whole story and he told me I shouldn't leave anything of "value" in my truck.  I understand if it was cash or a laptop or something along that lines, but a gym bag what the hell is he going to do with my swim goggles and jammers?  I have three sides of my house surrounded by road.  I wouldn't consider where I live a "city" but more like a town.  My deed restricted neighborhood is mostly retired and elderly and younger families.  We do have a wooded area near the entrance that a few homeless people have been camping out in.  My backyard is the main road to the development with street lights, the side of my house is a cross street off of that, and the front of my house is the culdesac that I live on.  The tint is so dark on my truck there is no way they could have even seen my black gym bag laying on the floor in front of the back seat.  At least I wasn't the only one broken into, the officer had told me there was 3 others in my neighborhood that reported car break-ins.  It just sucks!

Edited by kmeisman 2009-09-02 10:06 AM
2009-09-02 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2384746

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Hopefully they'll catch the @#$%^&!

2009-09-02 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Angelo - Wow, the IS a crazy story.  That person must have seen you put the key there? 

I'm guilty of placing my key in my gas cap.  Maybe I'll think twice about doing that in the future.

2009-09-02 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I don't even leave change where it's visible in my car.

The day of our rehearsal dinner... someone (some a**) threw a brick through my husband's car window and stole....

a pair of pants and and an old shirt!!

(worth almost nothing except the brand new cufflinks I gave him were in the pocket... hope the guy that stole them has JEC initials)

eta: I live in Baltimore, where I find it to be a pleasant surprise when my car isn't missing or broken into when I head out to work.

Edited by trishie 2009-09-02 4:01 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ARRGGH! Rss Feed