General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Slow but getting faster. Big, but getting smaller Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 3:44 PM

User image

Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Slow but getting faster. Big, but getting smaller
Hi everyone! I am training for my first Tri, a sprint length in mid Oct..

I was couch bound and fast food fed for a few years getting up to 295lbs while smoking around 1 pack per day. Last August I bought a used mountain bike to start riding the 5 miles to work to save $$ on gas and lose a few pounds. I immediately fell in love with biking and after a month or so of riding the MB to work, I upgraded to a new Trek 7.3FX.

I found an old friend on facebook and he is a triathlete. Looking through his photos of past Tris, I thought it looked cool, and like a great way to continue getting in shape so I decided that I would do a triathlon at some point. Then I was in a car crash last October and did not exercise for a few months. Then in Feb of this year I started riding again, walking, and doing Tae Bo with the wife. I lost a few pounds and started a swim class in June (and quit smoking). I then decided to take the plunge and signed up for the last Tri of the season here in South Carolina.

I found a simple training plan on-line and started following it. I haven't even participated in my first Tri yet, and I am pretty hooked! I love the training.

Edited by unixtool 2009-09-01 3:48 PM

2009-09-01 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2383447

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Slow but getting faster. Big, but getting smaller
Welcome to BT!  Congrats on getting in shape and quitting smoking!  There are lots of great people and resources on this site to help you reach your goal of becoming a triathlete.
2009-09-01 10:14 PM

User image

New user
Welcome!  I too was a couch potato until January when I started swimming.  In June I did a relay team tri (swam 1/2 mile).  Started back on the bike about a month ago and working on doing a sprint tri next spring.  I must be crazy for trying this, but what the h*ll!  I'm having fun and meeting new people!

You'll find a lot of support here too!
2009-09-02 6:43 AM

User image

Simpsonville, SC
Thanks!  There seems to be a generally positive attitude among members of this site, with lots of encouragement.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Slow but getting faster. Big, but getting smaller Rss Feed