General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Helmets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: Bike Helmets
I'm just getting started in this multisport thing and I'm doing a du in October. I need to get a helmet but I'm not really sure what the difference is between the cheap and expensive ones. Is it mostly comfort or is it safety as well? I mean if I'm gonna finally wear a helmet after biking for the last 30 years, may as well do it right!!

BTW, if the person who gave me a tube as I was walking my bike down 25A in rocky point last week happens to be on this site....THANKS AGAIN!!!! Walking sucks!!!

2009-09-01 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2383475

User image

Subject: RE: Bike Helmets
CPSC certification is CPSC certification. They'll all protect your noggin. A lot of it is how cool your head stays and a lot of it is how light the helmet is, thus comfort.
2009-09-01 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

I don't think there's an awful lot of difference in safety, as long as the helmet meets CPSC standards (and I doubt if anyone is selling helmets in the US that don't) and can be adjusted to fit you properly.

Differences in price are generally differences in style, ventilation and weight.

2009-09-01 5:17 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Like the others said, the differences between a $30 helmet and a $200 helmet are mostly cosmetic/comfort.  A more expensive helmet usually has more ventilation.  But keep in mind that helmets have a "lifespan" of about 3 years or so.  Then the polystyrene starts to stiffen or break down and become less reliable as a shock absorber in case of crash.  UV will shorten the lifespan, so ironically the more you are out using it, the quicker the time will come to replace it.  Also, don't store it near volatile chemicals (like gasoline) if you keep it in the garage.

For most of my years of serious riding, I used inexpensive helmets.  But when I got a carbon fiber bike last year, I upgraded my helmet to a lightweight expensive one, with more ventilation.  I feel faster (so the cyclometer is lying when it says I am not).

Anyway, my point is get a helmet.  Any helmet.  If you want to spend your gear dollar on other stuff, get a cheap helmet and it will be fine.  In a couple of years when you replace it due to age, you can decide if you want a "fancy" helmet as an upgrade. If you get one on-line, from closeouts, they are even cheaper, but you have to check the age - they are often last year's models, so they are already down one year of use.
2009-09-02 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Thanks guys!!
2009-09-02 9:30 AM

User image

Modesto, California
For me it was well worth the expense to get a LAS, I think I paid 180. My 75 dollar bell started to give me headaches on rides over 1 hour, I can fall asleep in the one I have now,  I can't complain on rides up to eight hours. I can take my pad out on a regular basis and wash it, on my Bell they would fall out on thier own, never attemted to wash them so Im not sure how they would hold up. Fit is different also, on my LAS I can adjust my helmet fit perfect to my head, other helmets you have to find the right one with only one adjustment. So for me there is a huge difference, I have used both.

2009-09-03 1:06 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Make sure it is CPSC certified (there's a sticker on the inside of the helmet telling you that). That's the requirement from US Tri and US Cycling.

Except for that, make sure that it fits your head. Go to a store and try different brands and then buy the least expensive that fits well. More expensive helmets usually gives you better air management (i.e. will keep you cooler), and are often quite a bit lighter in weight. The longer distances you ride, the more important these two factors will become. Also, if you live in a very hot a humid area, spending the money on a better ventilated helmet could be well worth it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Helmets Rss Feed