Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think I just lost my scooter mojo... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Subject: I think I just lost my scooter mojo...
So my other bike is a 125 cc scooter which I've been riding for almost 2 1/2 years.  I actually sold my (very old) car to buy it, and we are now a 2 scooter, one car household.  My husband and I have been pretty hard core, riding them year-round as long as there isn't any snow or ice on the ground.  We have very short commutes to work, and basically 99% of our daily life revolves within six miles of the house.

Over the past few months the fun has slowly been sucked out of scootering for me due to various close calls with drivers, and I've been thinking about switching from scooting to simply riding my bicycle or walking.  Frankly, in this area people have ATROCIOUS driving skills.  I'm talking about regularly running stop signs, red lights, sudden lane changes without signaling, significant speeding, etc.  Everyone is in such a hurry, and I think (perhaps naively) if people walked or biked more we would all be happier.  Hence, I've been thinking about putting my money where my mouth is and not just getting a second car. 

Anyway, on Friday my husband crashed while trying to avoid getting run over by one of the aforementioned terrible drivers (no serious injuries - aches and pains and some road rash), and today I was VERY lightly rear-ended while scootering home (no injuries, no damage.)  Bottom line, this may have been the last straw for me.  There's no way he's going to stop scootering, but I think I may be done.  The fun simply isn't outweighing the risk any more.

No real question, I guess.  I just needed to put my thoughts down.  Thanks for reading/listening.

2009-09-01 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2383551

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: I think I just lost my scooter mojo...

I am a scooter girl too.   Just 49 cc's for me.   Sorry you are surrounded by too much bad traffic.   So far, Reno has proven to be very scooter friendly.   Stay safe.

2009-09-01 9:48 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
You just need something with enough guts to take care of yourself . Have you taken an MSF course? Wear helmet, pants, jacket and SHOES at all time? ATGATT!
2009-09-01 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2384030

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I was going to suggest the MSF BRC as well, if you haven't already done so. In Washington, anything over 50cc's requires an endorsed license... And definitely ATGATT.
2009-09-01 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
I agree with the above 2....especially wearing the gear and taking the class.

<---MSF Instructor

Would you stop riding your bicycle if your husband crashed on that?  Or you got knocked over by a car?  There are inherent risks in everything we do.  I am sory that this is how you are feeling.  Give it a little time.  BTW...I live in Orlando with the nation's worst drivers and "blue hairs"
2009-09-02 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone.  I took the MSF BRC course last summer (and highly recommend it to anyone riding a motorcycle or scooter), and definitely wear ATGATT.  It's not my skills that are a concern - it's the lack of skill demonstrated by the cagers!   

We'll see.  Maybe I'll focus more on riding her for pleasure out in the country, rather than the more utilitarian use on the busy roads.  I do love my scooter (her name is Olive, and yes, she's green) . . .

2009-09-02 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
cthoops - 2009-09-01 5:35 PM So my other bike is a 125 cc scooter which I've been riding for almost 2 1/2 years.  I actually sold my (very old) car to buy it, and we are now a 2 scooter, one car household.  My husband and I have been pretty hard core, riding them year-round as long as there isn't any snow or ice on the ground.  We have very short commutes to work, and basically 99% of our daily life revolves within six miles of the house.

Over the past few months the fun has slowly been sucked out of scootering for me due to various close calls with drivers, and I've been thinking about switching from scooting to simply riding my bicycle or walking.  Frankly, in this area people have ATROCIOUS driving skills.  I'm talking about regularly running stop signs, red lights, sudden lane changes without signaling, significant speeding, etc.  Everyone is in such a hurry, and I think (perhaps naively) if people walked or biked more we would all be happier.  Hence, I've been thinking about putting my money where my mouth is and not just getting a second car. 

Anyway, on Friday my husband crashed while trying to avoid getting run over by one of the aforementioned terrible drivers (no serious injuries - aches and pains and some road rash), and today I was VERY lightly rear-ended while scootering home (no injuries, no damage.)  Bottom line, this may have been the last straw for me.  There's no way he's going to stop scootering, but I think I may be done.  The fun simply isn't outweighing the risk any more.

No real question, I guess.  I just needed to put my thoughts down.  Thanks for reading/listening.

i think your seat is too high.

(seriously, that sucks, every few weeks i have a close call and swear off my bike, but i love her and never would really quit.  too many areas are just not very bike/ped/scooter friendly, unfortunately.)
2009-09-02 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
PA
I ride a Yamaha FZ6 motorcycle but I wear a helmet and a Joe Rocket jacket with some great safety features.  There are hard plastic shoulder pads, elbow pads, forearm pads and even what feels like a boogie board spine guard in the back.  Mine is like this:  http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/119/Textile_Jackets/Reactor_2.0_Jacket  but look around the site for some of the stuff for the ladies. 

Here ya go.. looks cool and is a great safety device:  http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/244/388/Textile_Jackets/Heartbreaker_2.0_Jacket

Edited by Pector55 2009-09-02 9:34 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I think I just lost my scooter mojo... Rss Feed