General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first sprint triathlon on Sunday - what to eat this week? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 6:09 PM

New user

Subject: first sprint triathlon on Sunday - what to eat this week?
i am gearing down for my 1st sprint triathlon on Sun and am wondering what to eat this week?  i know about pasta (whole grain) 2 nights before, but what about the whole day to 2 before and the actual morning of the race??  thanks for any pointers!

2009-09-01 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2383679

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: first sprint triathlon on Sunday - what to eat this week?
Nothing new! Stick with foods that you know your stomach agrees with. Lots of people eat very bland foods in the day(s) leading up to races (on purpose) - stuff like brown rice, grilled chicken, veggies. I'd advise to stay away from alcohol, spicy, or greasy foods that might make you bloated or gassy (unless you eat them every day without issues).

Plenty of water as well.

As for the morning of the race, especially a sprint, just a normal breakfast you'd usually eat is your best bet. For a lot of people it's something like a bagel with peanut butter or a Clif bar and a banana, or something like that. Again... nothing new.

Good luck on Sunday!

2009-09-01 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2384107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
lisac957 - 2009-09-01 10:39 PM Nothing new!

X2 What Lisa said.

While the whole first race experience is new and exciting, your diet should not be.
2009-09-02 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI

On Saturday keep your meals smaller, more frequent and carb dense. (70 % carbs, 20% protein, 10% fat calories is a good benchmark). I'll usually taper the size of my saturday meals as well to keep my stomach small. This worked very well for me and I had a tons of energy for the race. Additionally, I shoot to consumer dense carbs like breads or bagels early in the day, and easier digesting carbs like rice or pasta towards the evening. Plus on that Friday night, I splurged on a Domino's Pasta Bread Bowl which was so much fun to eat. Probably too much fat content, but oh well... 

Otherwise, just keep things consistent with what your used to. Don't make the portion-control mistake I made a few months ago while preparing for a half marry. I ate way too much pasta the night before the race and felt like a brick was trying to digest during mile nine. This is just my opinion, but I try underestimate how much I need for breakfast before a race. Maybe 400-500 calories max 2-3 hours before the gun and that's it for me. I just remind myself of all the fueling I put in the days leading up and just because I feel a bit hungry doesn't mean my performance will hinder. In fact, I believe I perform better without much in the tummy.  

2009-09-05 10:07 AM

New user

thanks for the tips, guys and gal.    i whole-heartedly agree to stick to what you are used to.  i have just heard different opinions on carb-tastic the night before vs. 2 nights before and was wondering if anyone had any other interesting tips...

i had a yummy dinner of whole wheat pasta and turkey bolognese sauce with wilted spinach and mushrooms last night.  today i have had whole grain cheerios and a banana and will stick to lighter carbs and fruit and yogurt as the day goes on.

tomorrow morning i plan to have a whole grain english muffin with peanut butter and a banana and that should do me til race time...

getting very excited!!! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first sprint triathlon on Sunday - what to eat this week? Rss Feed