General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preemptive Cardiology Eval Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Georgia
Subject: Preemptive Cardiology Eval
I'm a 55yo male and have just begun my Triathlon career. I did my first sprint last week and have another one in early October. I'm in relatively good shape with a history of slightly elevated triglycerides and cholesterol. (Last blood work had all parameters within normal range.) I have a physical every 6 months and an EKG once a year (FAA requirement). I was wondering if there are any benefits to having a more extensive cardiology exam and evaluation prior to getting too heavily involved in this sport. I like to push myself and would hate to have any nasty surprises. Any cardiologists/MDs out there that care to weigh in? Thanks.

2009-09-02 2:36 AM
in reply to: #2383935

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Preemptive Cardiology Eval

With all due respect to the docs on this forum, I'd suggest you talk to your own doc about your training plans.

What's your family history?  Any other health issues?  There are lots of other things that might factor in.

I'm not a doc, but I'm 56 and have some congenital heart issues.  I have annual check-ups with my cardiologist with an EKG once a year and an echocardiogram every two years.  I also had some lactic threshhold and VO2max  testing when I first started triathlon training at age 50.  Up to that point I had always been physically active, but had not done any extensive endurance training.

Better safe than sorry.  

Good luck,

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preemptive Cardiology Eval Rss Feed