General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri in 2 weeks - do I need a wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: Tri in 2 weeks - do I need a wetsuit?

So, I have my first Tri next Saturday here in the Hudson Valley, and I was planning on wearing a swim bikini for the swim (OWS  - 1/4 mi), but I was out riding my bike this morning and it was a nippy 50 degrees at 6:30.  Yikes - where did Fall come from all of a sudden?   I'm a little nervous that the water temp is going to drop significantly and I'm going to need a wetsuit.  I don't want to buy one, as it's my first one and I'm trying to do the minimalist route on this one until I see if I like it.  I was a competitive swimmer, so swimming in cold water doesn't scare me too much, but just how cold is too cold?  And, if it were JUST the swim part, I'd be OK, but being chilled and then getting onto the bike is a little scarier to me.    The event is being held at a park where I have no idea what the water temperature is now. 

Any thoughts from people who have done a tri in September with no wetsuit?   Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!
Jen

2009-09-01 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2384003

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: Tri in 2 weeks - do I need a wetsuit?
Glad you posted this. I'm doing a HIM on Sept. 20 in CT and had the same question--especially considering how Mother Nature just spontaneously decided fall was here.

Is your tri swim in a lake? That makes a pretty big difference. I do think that two weeks from now will not cool the water significantly, so my vote is you're probably ok. Also, unless the weather is crazy compared to the last few years, most tri's will post something on their website about the water temp in the past being blah blah blah degrees, so you could base it off of that, too.

Your other option, which is one I'm considering, is renting a wetsuit for the race. It's a much cheaper way to go, and has the benefit of letting you see what it's like to race in one and whether you might consider buying one. Go to any triathlon store and see what the deal is about renting. Some places will even give you a discount off the purchase price if you decide afterwards to buy it.

ETA: I did my first HIM last year in May in Jersey--water temp was a breezy 64 degrees. I was the only fool out there without a wetsuit, but after the first maybe 300 yards, I warmed up just fine and finished the swim no problemo. So...even if it's chilly--remember it's only 1/4 mile swim and you'll totally get through it.

Edited by swishyskirt 2009-09-01 10:43 PM
2009-09-02 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Yes, it's in a lake.  The problem is that it's the inaugural triathlon, so not only is it MY first tri, but it's theirs too! 

They're supposed to send out an email with additional details, and registration info 5-6 days before the event, so perhaps it will have water temp info.  I guess I could call the park to see what they say.

I have no idea where there might be a tri store near me, anyway, so I think I'm going to brave it without.  And, your right, it's only 400 yds - that's what I've been telling myself - invigorating at 8:00 in the morning!! 

2009-09-04 7:49 AM

Orange County

I'm signed up for the Vassar tri also, it's also my first and I'm not about to go out and drop the bucks on a wet suit.  I figure I'll just deal with it, it's only 400 meters, how bad can it be?  If you want to buy one there is a tri shop in New Paltz called Catskill Mountain Multisport, I haven't been there yet but I'm going to check it out this weekend to buy a pair of tri shorts.

2009-09-04 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
I'm with you - I'm going to brave it and hope it's not too cold.  After I see if I'm hooked on this tri thing, it'd be a whole different story.  I'm actually afraid to check out a multi-sport store - I get attracted to all the gadgets in places like that, and I'd end up buying more than I would need.  If I get hooked, my next purchase will be a road bike.  I guess we'll see what next Saturday brings.
2009-09-04 1:49 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
i would say no, you should be fine without a wetsuit. I swim in the sound and it is still plenty warm to swim without one, a small lake or pond is probably 75-78 degrees right now, even in 2 weeks it might get to what...72-73??  that is still bath water, and the weather would have to stay really really cool.  i probably wont use a wetsuit in the sound for another 2-3 weeks. Yes it is a litte chilly when you first get in, then you realize that the water is 15-20 degrees warmer than the air temp, you will be more comfy in the water.

I grew up in fishkill BTW, Vassar is a really nice section of Poughkeepsie...good luck in your Tri!!!

2009-09-04 5:38 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

You will be fine with no wetsuit. You'll be cold but at least you don't have to worry about shrinkage. The lake up here in Bunghamton, NY that I do my OWS in had dropped from 77 degrees to 69 degrees in a week and with the nights in the 40's and 50's and the days only in the 70's it's downhill from here. I'll swim without a wetsuit down to about 64 or 65 degrees. After that I'll hit the pools again.

Good luck in your race and don't forget to thank the volunteers!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri in 2 weeks - do I need a wetsuit? Rss Feed