General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just need a few words Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-01 10:27 PM

User image

Bay St. Louis
Subject: Just need a few words
of encouragement.

Have done all I can do... trained, read, watched videos, talked to a few Tri guys...

Imploded Saturday... my coach & daughter talked me out of the "i'll be the chubbiest, slowest, oldest" and I am READY to go

Orlando Trek Tri... this Sunday. I'm not the oldest..she'll be 75! WOW! Not the fattest... a size 6. And slow? I checked times for other Trek Tris... I'm comfy saying 2:30... likely closer to 2:00.

BUT right now my eyes are on the prize... FINISHING. So EVEN if I am the oldest, fattest, slowest...that finish line is MINE to claim

Any last minute thoughts... things I should double-check, bring, know?

Thanks for this site

I'm running in memory of 3 US Navy SEALs KIA in Afghanistan in 2008. 

Senior Chief Petty Officer Wayne Marcum KIA 9/11/2008

Chief Petty Officer (select) Jason Richard Friewald KIA 9/11/2008

Petty Officer 1st Class Joshua Harris KIA 8/30/2008

Never forget!

2009-09-01 10:30 PM
in reply to: #2384080

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Subject: RE: Just need a few words
just have fun!!! seriously, embrace the good and not so good things that take place. SMILE out there!
2009-09-01 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
New York
DFL > DNF > DNS

Ditch any comparisons to any other athlete in this event. Run your own race! Good luck, you sound ready!
2009-09-01 10:36 PM

I just completed my first Tri at 53, hence the name.
 I also set 2 goals...to finish and not let it kill me trying.  When I got tired, I looked at the physically challenged athletes and said, I could do it.  At the end of the run, I found a guy my age and we "ran to that red car" then "ran to the blue car" just to get to the end.  We managed and you can too.
As for chubby, etc. what I saw was that shape didn't matter, people of all sizes finished.
You are running for a cause, keep that in mind and, as a friend said to me just before I began "you are not alone out there"
Go for it.  You'll be glad you did.  I am and now I'm hooked.

2009-09-01 10:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
You have already accomplished a lot, more than most people, just getting to the starting line and getting the opportunity to complete a tri. Rejoice in the fact that you are healthy enough to do what you have done and what you will do the day of the race. My favorite quote is "someday I wouldn't be able to do this but today is not that day".

Good luck.
2009-09-01 11:21 PM

User image

Bay St. Louis
Thanks gymgirl, swishy, 53!!! (awesome!) and pops...

Your words mean a lot

And I love the quote pops.

To digress a bit... the reason for the implosion was trying on a TYR tri short (XS is their size 6)... Oh yea? and no at 53, I don't need short shorts... YUCK. Slight body image issue with those on... I ended up buying longer MEN'S tri shorts They rock. What is with the TIGHT elastic and weird sizing? Anywhere else an XS is a 0-2, small 4-6, etc... Does anyone make "50 something body ain't perfect" friendly tri clothes?

I am ready Nervous, excited, scared a bit but pretty excited overall. Lists of things in my mind.... tri-brain I guess... I keep walking through the event in my mind... it's a 9 hr drive so I need to pack EVERYTHING correctly for the trip

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just need a few words Rss Feed