General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cyclist friendly ride last night. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: cyclist friendly ride last night.
I live sort of in the boondocks.  On every ride, I usually nod, or wave to everyone I pass or passes me.  I usually only see a handful of cars during my rides.  Last night on my ride I was coming up a hill and saw a guy mowing his lawn on a rider. I didn't think much of it, but got a little over to avoid having grass spit all over me as he was near the road. He actually stopped and shut the blades off for me to pass. I gave him a wave and went on. About 2 miles up the road I saw yet another guy mowing, this time a push mower, near the road. He stopped and let it die for me to pass! I thought that was really great. Makes me really enjoy my rides, and the area where I live.  Just a cool thing I thought I would share.

2009-09-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2385358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: cyclist friendly ride last night.
No way in hell that would happen over here where I live.
2009-09-02 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2385382

I'm in NJ - I think the people mowing lawns (especially the leaf blowers) are the only considerate people I see.  I think they've all gotten plenty of tiny pieces of grass and dirt in their eyes, know how it feels, and are conscious about it.  Also those mowers sometimes launch out small rocks at a speed that could really do damage.
2009-09-02 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2385475

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
avasta - 2009-09-02 12:49 PM I'm in NJ - I think the people mowing lawns (especially the leaf blowers) are the only considerate people I see.

Ah Jersey... a great place to be FROM.
2009-09-02 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Ever get a flat in Detroit? Frown
2009-09-02 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
Last night as I was driving home from work, I came upon a single cyclist riding a very narrow road that I also frequent on my bike.  I saw the car ahead buzz him even though there was nobody coming from the opposite direction.  By the time I caught up to him, he was on a steep hill that takes a couple of minutes to climb and there is a double yellow line since there is no visibility.  The guy was kickin' it hard.  He stood up and hammered that hill because he glanced over his shoulder and saw my car followed closely by five more impatient drivers.  Hell, I didn't even WANT to pass him, I wanted to cheer him on, I knew how tough that hill was.

So, I laid back about 30 yards behind and took great pleasure in forcing all of the tailgaters behind me to wait on a safe place to pass at the top of the hill.  When he topped the hill, it was clear in the other lane, so I pulled up next to the guy and shouted out, "Lookin' strong, man, you kicked that hill's butt!".  He looked over with a big smile and a surprised look and said 'Thanks!'.  It was satisfying to see every single car behind swing safely over into the other lane and give the guy plenty of room in the 8' wide lane.

I think I might have made his day.  Hope so.

Greg

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cyclist friendly ride last night. Rss Feed