General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Component Compatibility Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Bike Component Compatibility
My current tri bike is set up with a Shimano mix (Ultegra/DA).  I've currently got a triple crankset that I would like to swap out for a compact.  BUT, I also see myself getting a powermeter in the next year or two.  I really like the Cinqo and would love to get one eventually.  Currently they offer Cinqo's for SRAM S900, Bontrager RXL and Trutative Rouleur Compact Cranksets.  I can't find any information on the compatibility of these cranks with Shimano parts, does anyone know if they would work?

If they are compatible, I think I would need to purchase a new BB and FD to make the conversion from triple to compact?  Does this seem right?  Anything else that I'd be looking at?

So, are there any BT bike-gurus that can help me out with the compatibility of these parts?  My local bike shop is mostly mtn bikes and commuters, not much help

Thanks,
Rebecca

2009-09-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2385763

User image

Columbia, MD
Subject: RE: Bike Component Compatibility
cranks don't care what brand the rest of your drivetrain is; all cranks are compatible with all derailleurs. Is that what you are asking? From the looks of the cinqo, I doubt it will ever work with a shimano crank, unless either they or shimano change their designs drastically.

to switch from triple to compact, you covered the worst possible case. Depending on what crank you have now and what you get, you may not need a BB, and depending on how good you are at setting up front derailleurs, the triple FD may work (if you look at FSA and Campy's compact-specific FDs, they basically are modified triple models, and way back when compacts were new, Zinn wrote that triple FDs actually shift better than doubles on compact cranks). I'd replace your chain while you are at it, but that's not necessarily needed.
2009-09-02 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2385998

User image

Veteran
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Bike Component Compatibility
Thanks, that's exactly what I was getting at.  I just wasn't sure if there was a difference in any dimensions on the different manufacturer's cranks.

I've read different reviews on changing out the FD if you swap from a triple to a compact.  I'm hoping that I don't have to.  Thanks for the advice to changing the chain, I will add that to my list.  I think I'm coming up on ~4 or 5,000 miles on my current set up. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Component Compatibility Rss Feed