General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing of LOOK Frames? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Sizing of LOOK Frames?
I'm looking for a new road bike frame to build up for climbing, recreational riding and racing (crits), stages, etc.), and found a LOOK 595 frame (no components) online.  I'm not sure what year it is (not in posting), but the seller said the top tube is 57cm, which puts it in the XL sizing for LOOK bikes.

The top of the downtube has been cut, and he said there's 8cm left at the top.  He also said that there are 9mm left on the LOOK E-Post.  (I'm not sure what the E-post is.  Any ideas?)

Some questions I haven't been able to find online: does anyone know if the rear derailleur replaceable?

I'm 6'1 with fairly long legs.  (Sorry... no FitStik measurement available, but planning on doing measurements tomorrow.)  Any basic ideas of whether this might fit or not?

Here are a couple quick pics:
LOOK 595

LOOK 595

So what do y'all think about the e-post, sizing, etc.?  Any info would be much appreciated!!

-Joel

2009-09-03 12:50 AM
in reply to: #2386373

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Sizing of LOOK Frames?
I have the 595 as well. A fantastic bike!!!!

Looking at that frame, the seat tube has been cut very near maximum allowable. What the seller refers to with the 9mm, is that you have 9mm more to cut and you are at maximum... this is basically no margin.... The E-post is the seatpost in Look-language (referring to seatpost that is used for the frames with the extended seattube).

Oh, and the down tube is not cut... that's the tube that goes from the headtube to the bottom bracket...

The rear derailleur is replaceable, but what you want to know is if the rear derailleur hanger is replaceable... and it is.

As great of a frame this is, I would not recommend you buying it unless you know it will fit (best would of course be to try it out, but you can't try a frame only... it needs to be built up). With the seat tube cut to very close to maximum, you can't get much lower and the E-post comes with spacers, allowing you to extend it (raise it) 15mm (think it's 15... it's on Looks website if you look at the E-post there).
2009-09-03 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2386472

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Thanks for the help.  As much as I'd love to jump all over this frame, the seller is being pretty protective of details.  He thinks it's a 2008, and it has some paint damage.  I asked for pics of the damage, and he said it's really something I should see in person.

So I'm back to looking. 

-Joel
2009-09-03 5:14 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Keep looking. LOOK sizing is a bit odd. If it fits, it fits like a dream. But, it's not for everyone. I fit a 59 absolutely perfectly. In fact, my custom Serotta dimensions are very close to the off the rack LOOK ones.

It tends to be slightly long in the top tube meaning it's better for long waisted, shorter leg people. Sounds like you're the opposite.

Do the fitting guide at wrenchscience.com or competitivecyclist.com to get your dimensions. Then compare with the geometry charts from the manufacturers. That's pretty close.

If LOOK does fit you, bargains can be had at excelsports.com and sometimes on eBay for new old stock.
2009-09-04 2:18 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
That frame is a 2007 or 2008. Watch out for cracked paint around the seat post. Look did have one batch of frames in 2007 that did have a structural problem. Having the great customer service that they do, they did replace the frames, but I'm not certain what would happen if you're not the original owner....

And kind of funny that Look frame supposed to fit people with shorter legs and longer upper body... I'm the COMPLETE opposite and a medium fits perfect.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sizing of LOOK Frames? Rss Feed