General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 700c gmc denali road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-04 6:44 PM

Subject: 700c gmc denali road bike
Ive been searching for a beginners bike to train for my first sprint. I came accross this bike and think I have what I am looking for, does anyone have any reviews or thoughts on it?  its the 700c gmc denali road bike 26"

2009-09-05 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2390653

User image

Regular
New Orleans
Subject: RE: 700c gmc denali road bike

Hi,

I had the same bike 5 weeks ago so I do have experience with it. The bike cost about 159 at any walmart which was a bike that I could afford. I didnt want to spend too much for my 1st tri coming up Oct 10th so I went with it.

I will be honest with you. It is heavy, parts are shimano but are pretty cheap as I am sure you are aware. I bought it knowing these things but because of the price I bought it anyway. I am sure thats why u are as well. Ummm...the bike never shift properly the 1st time. I would have to play with the shifters before settling into a gear but perhaps the derailleirs were misaligned. I tried fixing the problem but it remained. I also read that it does not shift well at all while climbing so any gear changes need to be made before inclines. I havent confirmed this myself. The brake pads are really cheap and I would recommend to change them for safety reasons. The wheels were way out of true.

This is very important! If you buy the bike. Before u ride on it. Be sure to take the wheels off and file the inner rims. There are sharp points that stick out by the spokes which WILL puncture the tube. I read this all over the internet and i laughed thinking this would never happen to me. well, i took it on a 16 mile ride and POP 11 miles into it making a 5 mile brick run back to the van. LOL so please make sure u do before u ride. ive read so many  reports of this happening.

I am just giving you some of the realistic things you will find with the bike so that you will be aware of them if u decide to buy it.

The bike is not a bad deal but check out some used bikes locally if u can. check craigslist etc. I had no success in finding one and the reason I bought the bike. I averaged 16 mph on my 1st 10 mile ride so the bike is faster than a mountain bike. I would have kept it to be honest but I had some help to purchase a Specialized Allez Elite so I brought it back. Got my money back after a week at walmart.

Maybe buy it and check it out. u can always get ur money back if it not what u want. it will suffice for a sprint but if u are wanting to ride for enjoyment then u will want to save up for something a little nicer. it is definetly a bike to get u into the race though.

good luck in ur decision. i wanted to give you some of the negatives so u can base ur decision.

2009-09-05 12:17 PM

thanks alot man!
2009-09-09 10:36 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
try bikesdirect.com  mainly for informational purposes.  You will find that frames there are pretty similar, and the difference in price you see is in the components.  before you buy something you will wanna upgrade in 5 weeks, learn about how bikes are equiped.

Go to the local bike store and ride a couple.  You may get sticker shock and not wanna buy right away but atleast you'll know what the difference is and what you wanna look for in a used bike or entry level bike on the web.

2009-09-09 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

I'm going to advise agains the Denali. I had one, and it was a miserable experience. It was heavy, and I'm not sure I got through a single ride without something breaking. I probably only put about 750 miles on it and had to get new pedals (yes, they broke), 4 broken spokes, then new wheels, cassette, and rear hub. I should have gotten new brakes too....those things were dangerous. In the end, you'll wind up spending just as much money as buying a quality used bike, but with far more headaches and long walks back to the car.

ETA: I would up giving the bike away to a friend who had no bike and couldn't afford to buy one. I could not, in good conscience, have sold this bike to anyone for even $1.

Edited by Meerkat Surprise 2009-09-09 1:33 PM
2009-09-09 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Acworth
I looked at this bike as well and decided on the Schwinn Prelude -- same idea and similiar pricing.  I took it to the LBS for adjustments etc and have no problems other than replacing the rim tape, which just did not seem fit for 120 bs pressure (2 blowouts through the tape was enough for me).  My only reccomendation is to take it to the LBS for set-up and the once over.  The derailleur alignment alone is worth whatever fee you pay because all that grinding and gear slippin that people speak of is related to that.  Also the trueing of the wheels was significant in my case because the spokes on my cheapie, were all loose and needed to be adjusted and tightened.

This is my first year I have completed 2 races and have one left to go - avg ~19 mph in both races and could have done better with a stronger engine and more experience.  My plan was to Tri this year and see if I liked it before laying out the real cash on a bike.  Of course I look with envy at all the nice bikes, so that is for next year.  I will grind this one into the ground for the rest of the year and then guess what daddy is getting for his birthday next year.......

2009-09-09 2:22 PM

Expert
Behind you
I have this bike and a $3200 bike (not going to mention the name though) and the GMC is way much more confortable than the 3200 dollar bike.  I love the GMC but mainly use it for training.  x2 also on the rims popping tubes.  The clamp around the seat post is heavy also, you can change this out and lose about a pound or two. 

BUY THIS BIKE for your first tri and training.  Trust me on this one. 

Also, I bought it at walmart for 159, but brought it back after the next day I bought it b/c someone on craigslist had it for 75 bucks, never rode.  Also, in about a month, walmart will have this for about 120 range then in nov/dec for 100.

Edited by TeamAngel 2009-09-09 2:23 PM
2009-09-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2397222

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
TeamAngel - 2009-09-09 3:22 PM I have this bike and a $3200 bike (not going to mention the name though) and the GMC is way much more confortable than the 3200 dollar bike.  I love the GMC but mainly use it for training. 

If your $3200 bike is more unfortable than your cheap walmart bike, I think you are in need of a fit or the size is off.  I can't imagine paying $3200 and having it less comfortable than a $150 bike.
2009-09-09 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
I considered these GMC bikes, but managed to swap one of my MTB's for a specialized allez.
I went to look at them at walmart, and they are suprisingly heavy but seem nice and stiff.  Overall I was not impressed with the quality.
I agree, used from craigslist / e-bay would be a better option.

I would suggest also looking into "Dawes" bikes, there are a couple of sellers selling 2008 models on e-bay at realy good prices.
Dawes are the Schwinn of the UK bike makers, they have been making bikes for a long time and the one I had years ago was a realy great frame.
2009-09-10 4:43 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

I secon bikesdirect.com or the "dawes" bikes. You will probably get much better quality than you would in a bike purchased from walmart.  Granted, you might pay a little more (I paid around $350 on Bikesdirect) but the bike never had problems other than replacing the rim tape.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 700c gmc denali road bike Rss Feed