General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Tank vs. Tri Jersey Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-06 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Lancaster County, PA
Subject: Tri Tank vs. Tri Jersey
My first race is only a couple weeks out (Savageman HIM) and I would like to get a tri-specific top for the race. Doing my research online, I have noted that there are two very distinct designs - the tank and the jersey. From what I can tell the tank has the shoulders and neck cut out and usually contains two small gel side pockets. The jersey is basically a sleeveless cycle top with three large back pockets. Is this a fair assessment?

What are the BT'ers opinion on one vs. the other? I usually train shirtless and the course is a mixture of full shade and full sun - so I think I'll be need to be able to regulate my body temp. Thoughts?

And, any suggestions for online shopping?

Thanks!

2009-09-06 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2392185

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Tri Tank vs. Tri Jersey
Personally, for a longer race, I prefer the Tri Jersey/Bike jersey type tops. Having the extra pockets in the back gives me the option of picking up an extra water bottle or two at the rest stops and having plenty of pockets to carry my gels is important to me. Also, having someplace to put my trash without littering all over the country side is a good thing. Savageman is a LOOOONNNGGGG hard bike leg where being albe to have everything you need with you pays off, and aero is not nearly as important.

Good luck.
2009-09-06 7:25 PM

User image

Panama City Beach
I like the tri-tanks.  I like the way the feel and look. That's not a suggestion, just what I like.  My tip comes from my experience in getting the top.  I had to buy and send back many tops, because the sizing is crazy.  I think I wound up with a large or XL, and I am a small or med.   I wish I had a tri shop here.
2009-09-06 7:29 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs

dude, good luck at savageman.  I did it last year ! ... hope you like climbing (it is a very beautiful and well run race!)

2009-09-07 8:24 PM

User image

Regular
Lancaster County, PA
Thanks Trishie, Rich, And SW. I will have to ponder this question a little longer... Having already ridden the bike course (who ticked the RD off in a previous life?) the extra gear storage of the jersey may just be the ticket.

My most humble applause to those who have completed this race! I look forward to joining your company.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Tank vs. Tri Jersey Rss Feed