General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gut Cramps @ Start of Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-06 11:39 AM

New user

Grimsby
Subject: Gut Cramps @ Start of Run
Finished my second sprint tri this weekend.  Improved both my bike and run times, the run by almost 3 mins.

Again, however, I had a problem at the start of the run.  My guts seized up; it was intense and really slowed me down until I got some gatorade at the first water station.  By the 4km mark, everything had relaxed again.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this occuring.

Thanks

Willyt27

2009-09-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2392241

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Gut Cramps @ Start of Run
What kind of nutrition are you taking in on the bike?

I have the same problem now and then generally it comes from how I take my nutrition and being in aero position. I've noticed that if I sip rather than gulp (take in lots of air with water or gatorade) I avoid a lot of the stomach problems. Being in aero for a long time seems to make my stomach upset so I'm trying out tums to see if they help settle it down.
2009-09-06 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2392276

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
jezzieswims - 2009-09-06 12:40 PM What kind of nutrition are you taking in on the bike?

I have the same problem now and then generally it comes from how I take my nutrition and being in aero position. I've noticed that if I sip rather than gulp (take in lots of air with water or gatorade) I avoid a lot of the stomach problems. Being in aero for a long time seems to make my stomach upset so I'm trying out tums to see if they help settle it down.

I take Tums before every race or training ride/run.  It helps me a lot with the stomach pains
2009-09-06 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
I've found that lots of water and salt the day before really help me. Also, I take a salt pill every hour during the race.  Some of us big guys are heavy salt sweaters and need more than just water in our system.
2009-09-09 3:05 PM

New user
I've had issues in T2, and it is usually from "crunching" over to put shoes on.  I've worked on getting the shoes on fast and staying out of a "crunched" position for more then a few seconds.  I would also look at your position on the bike to see if you are causing muscle fatigue in the abdominals.

As for nutrion, I've gone to an aero bottle with 1/2 G2 (gatoraide) and 1/2 water, which has allowed me more opportunity to take in fluids during the bike without reaching for a bottle (I was too lazy to grab my bottle).  I've also started using Hamer Endurolytes.  For sprints, 2 capsules before the swim, depending on heat, 1-3 in T1.  They have helped with leg and abdominal muscle cramps.
2009-09-09 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job on your faster pace!

When you say gut cramps do you literally mean your abdomen is cramped up or are you talking about really severe side stitches?

What are you eating before the race?  I know that there are 2 major reasons I get cramps while running.  The first is what I ate and the second is that I'm not hydrated.  For me it's fatty foods - it will give me running cramps every time.  I don't know if its physiological or psychological.

I don't think I've ever had really major stomach cramps that slowed me down, but I know that the few times I've gotten them and I haven't been able to ignore them, focusing on really deliberate breathing has alleviated them by exhaling forcefully when my right foot hits the pavement.  Eventually I just forget they're there and it just goes away.

Is your posture while you bike good?

Edited by Johners 2009-09-09 3:41 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gut Cramps @ Start of Run Rss Feed