General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing while injured Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-09 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Lowestoft, England
Subject: Racing while injured

I have my last sprint of the season this Sunday, a 400m pool swim, 20km ride and 2 mile run.  After that I have a club OLY in two weeks. 

My problem is that I have collected my first injuries of the season.  I felt hip flexor pain while out running last Thursday and stupidly tried to run it off.  My enforced weird running gait seems to have given me a knee pain in the same leg.

My question is should I just take pain killers and race?  Swim and bike only? or cancel and just race in the club OLY in a couple of weeks? 

I have paid for the sprint and it is an official race, but the OLY is a free unmarshalled club event.  Ideally I would like to do both.

I am leaning towards taking the pain killers and biting the bullet and just racing.  If I don't recover in the two weeks between I can live with it.  If I do more serious damage I would miss running season but would have 7 months before next years tri season.

Any thoughts? 

2009-09-09 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2396697

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Racing while injured
I'd miss the sprint. Possibly the OLY too if you aren't back up to par.

Believe me I know how it feels to WANT to race but to have to sit it out, but in the end, there will be plenty more races, but only one body.
2009-09-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2396697

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I'd say take care of the injury - better to take a little time now to heal than be forced to take a much longer period of time off.  Yeah, you paid and it sucks but races aren't much fun when you're really hurting and you're not likely to put out your best effort (or at least I wouldn't advise to do so).  There are lots of races out there so what's the rush?
2009-09-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2396882

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove

You do not want to be me.  I am the guy that would run through an Injury.  Because of that mindset I was forced to  only have one run of 13 miles before IM L-Ville.  If you have an injury you should take care of that.  There will always be more races but if you have an injury you could always push that to being out for 6 months, a year or more.

Take the time off now, recvoer, train when ready and kick butt next year.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing while injured Rss Feed