General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramp in foot during swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-10 5:38 AM

Subject: Cramp in foot during swimming
Hi, I'm fairly new to using swimming as exercise but as I'm training to compete in my first tri I've been doing progressively more over the last 6 or so weeks.

I started mainly building up doing breast stroke but am now trying to improve my front crawl but when I switch strokes I keep getting cramps in the arches of my feet.

Not being a regular swimmer until recently I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just a case of the body getting used to it. 

If anyone can offer any advice on how to avoid this, or tell me if it's normal please do

Thanks

Owen.

2009-09-10 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2398208

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Subject: RE: Cramp in foot during swimming
Welcome to triathlons! I'm also fairly new to the sport and have experienced the same foot cramps during the swim. I usually only get them during races, which is especially frustrating. I've been told that getting some extra potassium can help (a banana 1/2 hour before the workout) and also make sure you are completely hydrated. When I do get the cramps, I find that stretching my foot back while keeping my leg as strait as possible will stretch out the arch of the foot and the cramp usually doesn't come back. Good luck!
2009-09-12 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2398495

billsorg - 2009-09-10 9:04 AM Welcome to triathlons! I'm also fairly new to the sport and have experienced the same foot cramps during the swim. I usually only get them during races, which is especially frustrating. I've been told that getting some extra potassium can help (a banana 1/2 hour before the workout) and also make sure you are completely hydrated. When I do get the cramps, I find that stretching my foot back while keeping my leg as strait as possible will stretch out the arch of the foot and the cramp usually doesn't come back. Good luck!

my thoughts exactly - bananas & hydration.  Keep a water bottle at the end of your lane & sip between sets.
2009-09-14 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2398208

User image

Pro
Tejas

I get relief by grabbing my toes and pulling them towards me and holding the stretch when it happens to me. Try doing this stretch after your warm up set and see if it helps prevent the cramp frofrom occuring during your main swim set.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramp in foot during swimming Rss Feed