General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Geneva Pre-Race Huddle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-10 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi
Subject: Lake Geneva Pre-Race Huddle
If any of y'all doing Lake Geneva are praying folk and want to pray before the 6:15 start, let me know and we'll establish a meeting point.

2009-09-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2399911

User image

Burlington, Wi
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Pre-Race Huddle
You name the place and I'll be there...
2009-09-10 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

looking at the satellite view of the map, there seems to be a gazebo on the Lake Street side of Ried Park (i'm assuming that's where the awards presentation is going to be).  How about we meet there.  5:45 am?  That leaves 15 minutes until the course talk at 6.  Or do we want to meet earlier or later?

2009-09-11 6:07 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
If I am not in the water calming myself down , I will meet up with you.  My goal is to get to transition right at 5am to set up and then test the water. 

When are you getting to Gordy's?  Think I am going to get there close to 5pm, get my stuff and hightail it out of there.  If you are around would love to meet you and your wife. 

PS If you haven;t thought of it, I heard a headlamp or flashlight is a good idea to set up transition.  A friend did it last year and said it was pitch black and he had no clue what he put where.
2009-09-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2400308

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi
i also intend to set up transition right at 5am Saturday - thanks for the tip about the flashlight!  It makes perfect sense, but i probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

originally i was planning on picking up my packet a little before 7pm tonight, since a 7pm course talk was scheduled at Gordy's according to the website, but the email that got sent out said the course talk is at the Ried Park Gazebo, so now i'm thinking about picking up my packet right at 5pm, driving the bike course, then returning to Ried for the course talk at 7.  Right now i'm most nervous about the bike; the swim is my strong area.

2009-09-11 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2400555

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Vitamin_B - 2009-09-11 8:44 AM i also intend to set up transition right at 5am Saturday - thanks for the tip about the flashlight!  It makes perfect sense, but i probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

originally i was planning on picking up my packet a little before 7pm tonight, since a 7pm course talk was scheduled at Gordy's according to the website, but the email that got sent out said the course talk is at the Ried Park Gazebo, so now i'm thinking about picking up my packet right at 5pm, driving the bike course, then returning to Ried for the course talk at 7.  Right now i'm most nervous about the bike; the swim is my strong area.

What I great idea!!  I would love to meet up with you guys for prayer.  It's so nice to have a race that's not on Sunday morning.  I'll check back to see what the concenses is on a meeting place and time.

Packing a flashlight.  Thanks for the word of advice.  I'll be there at 5am to set up.

This will be my first Oly so I'm a little freaked about the distance, but I've ridden the bike course 3 times and it is a gorgeous ride!!  A word of caution about a couple things on the bike....there are three sets of RR tracks that are pretty choppy.  Also the ride down Academy St back toward the lake is SUPER FAST!!!  But you have to make a hard left turn at the bottom.  Ride you're brakes!!!  Lake Shore Drive is the only road that is beat up.  I hit some crevices pretty hard on the downhill, so be careful there.  But once you reach Lake Shore Drive, that's your home stretch.  Great ups and downs, enjoy it.

Let's not forget Frank's Killer Hill.  Are you not at all concerned about getting up that thing?  That is the only thing that wakes me up at night.  Any suggestions on pushing up the giant hill?  Has anyone done this race before?

Good luck tomorrow.  Look forward to meeting you all.
~Marsha

2009-09-11 11:22 AM

Regular
WI
Packet pickup does start at 5pm, but my neighbor, who's done this race the last few years said that the majority of people try to pick up their packets at 5pm, so there's usually a big line then. If you can swing it, there will probably be a shorter line later in the evening.
2009-09-11 11:32 AM

User image

Burlington, Wi
Thanks for the flashlight tip.

The Killer Hill. Well Monday I biked the sprint course and ran what I thought was the run. After I ran a pretty big hill and I was about a mile out, I passed Sterns Rd. That's when I thought to myself, "Hey, this is the road that SSMinnow said to run to then turn around". Plus I saw a GIANT hill ahead and thought there is no way we have to run that. Well, when I got back home and reread Minnows post, she said to run to the top of the hill just PAST Sterns Rd. Needless to say, I have decided to not run it until race day. I figure I'll have all the other stuff behind me that I'll have no choice but to power up that beast! I've thinking about coming down it too. I figure I'll cut a good 2 mins off my time if I go into a full tuck and roll down it... haha. Seriously though, I have to imagine going down will be almost as slow so as to not injure yourself...
2009-09-11 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

i'm out the door right now to go grab lunch and head down to the hotel.  Let's say 5:45-ish tomorrow morning at the gazebo?

if you're looking for me tonight at packet pickup or the course talk, i'll be wearing a dark blue "dairyland dare" shirt with yellow trim, and a white "Tri-ing for Children's" cap.  Tomorrow i'll be the one in the black wetsuit.  Wink  Seriously, i'll be wearing a "Synergy Endorphin" wetsuit for the swim, and a blue "Dairyland Dare" jersey on the bike/run.

If i don't see you before the starting signal, race safe and race well!

2009-09-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2400757

User image

Champion
Mars11 - 2009-09-11 10:05 AM
Vitamin_B - 2009-09-11 8:44 AM i also intend to set up transition right at 5am Saturday - thanks for the tip about the flashlight!  It makes perfect sense, but i probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

What I great idea!!  I would love to meet up with you guys for prayer.  It's so nice to have a race that's not on Sunday morning.  I'll check back to see what the concenses is on a meeting place and time.

Packing a flashlight.  Thanks for the word of advice.  I'll be there at 5am to set up.

This will be my first Oly so I'm a little freaked about the distance, but I've ridden the bike course 3 times and it is a gorgeous ride!!  A word of caution about a couple things on the bike....there are three sets of RR tracks that are pretty choppy.  Also the ride down Academy St back toward the lake is SUPER FAST!!!  But you have to make a hard left turn at the bottom.  Ride you're brakes!!!  Lake Shore Drive is the only road that is beat up.  I hit some crevices pretty hard on the downhill, so be careful there.  But once you reach Lake Shore Drive, that's your home stretch.  Great ups and downs, enjoy it.

Let's not forget Frank's Killer Hill.  Are you not at all concerned about getting up that thing?  That is the only thing that wakes me up at night.  Any suggestions on pushing up the giant hill?  Has anyone done this race before?

Good luck tomorrow.  Look forward to meeting you all.
~Marsha

Marsha--I've done that hill three times and it never gets easy.  I find leaning into it, shortening my stride and lifting my legs slightly higher helps, but I am still gassed by the time I get to the top.  I have asthma, so last time I got 3/4 of the way up, walked it for about 10 seconds and then continued on.  Totally doable and don't let it wreck your sleep tonight.

Running down the hill is HARD, it is too dang steep.  I just do my best to bend my knees a litte more and avoid braking to the best of my ability.  Ravinia isn't much better and totally catches me off guard.

Roy/Vit B--would love to have your swim confidence. It is my limiter for now.  And you did DD so no worries on the bike, right?
2009-09-11 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I will be heading later this afternoon...I'll be wearing a light green sleeveless shirt and black pants.

On Saturday I will be wearing a light blue tri top with black bottoms and a sleeveless Blue Seventy Reaction wetsuit.  I will try to join y'all at the gazebo.

2009-09-11 2:43 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Done the half there twice.

Flashlight = yes.

If you need to register in the AM, show up at Gordy's at 4:45.  Notorious for being late openning the doors but at least you're at the front of the line. 

2009-09-11 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
Not sure anyone is checking in tonight, but I drove the course again today. I don't quite understand the additional loop we have to do for the HIM, but overall the signage was better than I expected. Doing the rumble strips twice kind of stinks though.  I only misfired twice due to no road signs.  They did gravel Sweet Road so be careful there.

Fingers crossed for calm waters tomorrow!  See you in the very early am.

It should be easy to find me, I'm the 4'10" brunette wearing black tri shorts/top. 

Suzy
2009-09-11 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2401682

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
SSMinnow - 2009-09-11 5:44 PM Not sure anyone is checking in tonight, but I drove the course again today. I don't quite understand the additional loop we have to do for the HIM, but overall the signage was better than I expected. Doing the rumble strips twice kind of stinks though.  I only misfired twice due to no road signs.  They did gravel Sweet Road so be careful there.

Fingers crossed for calm waters tomorrow!  See you in the very early am.

It should be easy to find me, I'm the 4'10" brunette wearing black tri shorts/top. 

Suzy
You don't go over the rumble strips twice...the additional loop is the fact that we are making a loop to the south, not that we are making it twice.

2009-09-12 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi
to anyone who was at the gazebo at 5:45, i'm sorry i missed you!  we were running a little behind schedule, so i was there almost 10 minutes late.  I really really apologize!

2009-09-13 4:39 PM

User image

Burlington, Wi
Haha... I just logged on here to apologize for not being at the gazebo at 5:45. Sorry from me too.

2009-09-13 10:26 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I was late too...
2009-09-14 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayville, Wi

I guess the spirit is willing...  Wink

Sad i didn't get to meet you all.  Next time!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Geneva Pre-Race Huddle Rss Feed